Pc shuts Off

I have now tried ........ 2 other hdd's, they both started windows repair menu
you can't expect a hard drive with windows installed to work from one pc to the other, It attempts repairs because it probably has the wrong drivers installed and can not boot up. It's surprising that it even attempts to repair with out doing a bsod on you

I have now tried both another ram stick and 2 other hdd's, they both started windows repair menu but it couldnt repair it. What is wrong?

Your hard drive holds the GUID of each hardware, so when you put it in another machine it does not match up with the new hardware ...

That's why it doesn't boot windows and try's to repair... You would need to format and install windows on the other hard drives

Last edited:
Your hard drive holds the GUID of each hardware, so when you put it in another machine it does not match up with the new hardware ... That's why it doesn't boot windows and try's to repair... You would need to format and install windows on the hard drive

Only if the repair doesn't work and Windows doesn't boot up / gives a BSOD. I've transferred installs of Windows by just swapping the HDD before, even across different chipsets.

Only if the repair doesn't work and Windows doesn't boot up / gives a BSOD. I've transferred installs of Windows by just swapping the HDD before, even across different chipsets.

He said it doesn't repair that's why I said format/ install... If you swap hard drive between two same model pcs or laptops then it will work, otherwise it won't... If it did there will be many flaws in registry keys etc and will most likely find you will need to repair or find you need to format anyways...

If your going to say you swapped between different models without issues, please prove it :cool:

He said it doesn't repair that's why I said format/ install... If you swap hard drive between two same model pcs or laptops then it will work, otherwise it won't... If it did there will be many flaws in registry keys etc and will most likely find you will need to repair or find you need to format anyways...

If your going to say you swapped between different models without issues, please prove it :cool:

I have in fact... Swapped a single HDD between 3 entire systems.

Went from a Compaq C769us with Pentium dual-core (around 06-era I think), to a C2D-based Lenovo T61p, and then finally to an i7-740qm Asus. Very different platforms/architectures, and each time it installed the new / necessary drivers that it could, and I installed the remaining ones that Windows didn't have. Ran it like that for around 2 years or so without issue and then decided to do a format when I had the Asus.

I used to swap disks between systems back in the old days, granted, back then you could because of how simplistic systems was...XP, Vista, and even Win7 are very forgiving to an extent.

I have in fact... Swapped a single HDD between 3 entire systems.

Went from a Compaq C769us with Pentium dual-core (around 06-era I think), to a C2D-based Lenovo T61p, and then finally to an i7-740qm Asus. Very different platforms/architectures, and each time it installed the new / necessary drivers that it could, and I installed the remaining ones that Windows didn't have. Ran it like that for around 2 years or so without issue and then decided to do a format when I had the Asus.

Was this HDD the original with the compaq? if not it may work if you removed as much GUIDs / drivers/ etc, but like I said normally youll be expected to have to format or repair.. get an OEM laptop or PC and just put that HDD into another machine and youll see it wont work or certain OS functions will fails..

Last edited:
Do you know any good guides on this? Also they arent new they all have things installed and are fully funktional with windows

Was this HDD the original with the compaq? if not it may work if you removed as much GUIDs / drivers/ etc, but like I said normally youll be expected to have to format or repair.. get an OEM laptop or PC and just put that HDD into another machine and youll see it wont work or certain OS functions will fails..
Yes it came with the Compaq. Installed WIndows 7 on it, swapped the drive over quite a while after that (after I had been using it for 6 months or so and had all of my crap on it already for school).

Do you know any good guides on this? Also they arent new they all have things installed and are fully funktional with windows

If the drives don't boot up in the machine with WIndows and boot up after the repair, then it won't work. You'd have to format / install Windows for it to work properly.

Yes it came with the Compaq. Installed WIndows 7 on it, swapped the drive over quite a while after that (after I had been using it for 6 months or so and had all of my crap on it already for school).

If the drives don't boot up in the machine with WIndows and boot up after the repair, then it won't work. You'd have to format / install Windows for it to work properly.

So you mean format it so the drive is kindoff seperated in 2 with 1 part only having windows like i did when i did my dualboot?
And if so wouldnt that allready be done since it Can allready run windows fine?

Back
Top Bottom