NTFS or FAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek01F

Baseband Member
Hey I gotta dumb question for you guys. I'm building a computer for somebody and I'm putting XP Pro on it. Should I format the HDD with NTFS or FAT? I know NTFS is more secure, but that computer is just for home use so does it matter? I was gonna choose NTFS, but wasn't really sure.

It doesn't realy matter. I would use NTFS though. For bigger drives you should use NTFS. For small drives/partitions (like 0-10GB) use FAT32 if you want, its a little faster in small partitions.

I got a 200gb hdd. What I was gonna do is make a partition of 10gb for like the os and then make another partition for my other stuff like games, etc. In your opinion how big should I make the second partition?

It depends on how many programs you are gonna install on partition 1 (XP)

I think 10-20 GB for XP will be enough for a lot of programs. You can use the other 80GB for your games and music.

maybe its better to use a bigger C partition, or create 3 partitions. partitions bigger then 137GB can cause problems without servicepach1 installed. So you could try 20|60|120 or 80|120

I would personally go with NTFS, just because of the confusion that would be caused to use different ones on different drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom