HDD problems

TheHumanComputer

Daemon Poster
So, i have an old 1TB HDD that i keept from an old build, maybe 2-3 years old? Hasn't been used since then. Windows doesnt seem to want to install on the new PC, i'm pretty sure that HD was corrupted or something, but wouldn't formatting it remove that and make windows install on a different part?

I won't be able to use my new pc :(

What if i was to take the HD out of my HP Pro desktop, and put that inside the new PC? Uninstall all the drivers, and use that, would that work?

So, i have an old 1TB HDD that i keept from an old build, maybe 2-3 years old? Hasn't been used since then. Windows doesnt seem to want to install on the new PC, i'm pretty sure that HD was corrupted or something, but wouldn't formatting it remove that and make windows install on a different part?
Does the drive have any bad sectors? Run a chkdsk /f on it from recovery (or hooked up to another PC as a secondary drive) and see what it finds out.

I won't be able to use my new pc :(

What if i was to take the HD out of my HP Pro desktop, and put that inside the new PC? Uninstall all the drivers, and use that, would that work?

50/50 shot. Sometimes Windows will just install the drivers for the new hardware and go along it's merry way - other times it will just throw BSOD's because the hardware profile has changed. I've really only ever seen it work correctly on Windows 7 Pro, but never Home or Enterprise. If it gives BSOD's then you'd have to reinstall Windows to get it to work correctly.

If it works correctly...then you're golden..however, that doesn't shy away from the fact that hardware changed dramatically, and the license will deactivate. If it's a retail license all you have to do is call in and reactivate. If it's running an OEM license...then legally you can't be using that key on the new system (OEM = 1 key, installed on 1 system, no transfers) - you'd have to buy a new key (though there are loopholes around it, but that can't be discussed here).

Does the drive have any bad sectors? Run a chkdsk /f on it from recovery (or hooked up to another PC as a secondary drive) and see what it finds out.

50/50 shot. Sometimes Windows will just install the drivers for the new hardware and go along it's merry way - other times it will just throw BSOD's because the hardware profile has changed. I've really only ever seen it work correctly on Windows 7 Pro, but never Home or Enterprise. If it gives BSOD's then you'd have to reinstall Windows to get it to work correctly.

If it works correctly...then you're golden..however, that doesn't shy away from the fact that hardware changed dramatically, and the license will deactivate. If it's a retail license all you have to do is call in and reactivate. If it's running an OEM license...then legally you can't be using that key on the new system (OEM = 1 key, installed on 1 system, no transfers) - you'd have to buy a new key (though there are loopholes around it, but that can't be discussed here).

Could if be discussed in PM? ;) lol

I believe i punched my old PC as it got very laggy, so i think that may have damaged the HD, it won't install windows at all, just says windows has run into an error, although i have now sauced a 500gb HD. Will have to try and get my SSD later on. :)

This HP pro come with windows 8.1, so im guessing it wouldnt work then?

Back
Top Bottom