isnt there a better way to troubleshoot?

Hi Really good stuff Carnage! I really like the suggestion to run Linux live CD! Would it be possible to extend further information on that??
Thanks!!
Run diagnostics software that's independent of the Windows OS and tests the hardware directly, i.e. Linux LiveCD's and tools on UBCD to test components. If it fails in those environments, then you know there's a hardware issue causing your issues. Otherwise it's software or related. Guess what? I just did gave some simple instructions to troubleshoot your issue beyond just testing memory, HDD, or reinstalling drivers.

I use Knoppix 7 for trouble shooting. It runs on some of the smallest environments I've had. From a Intel i5 quad core with 16 gigs of ram and a SSD all the way down to a core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram and a 80 gig HD.

Trouble shooting is a logical step by step process. Check this, if ok check that. Keep going eliminating hardware and software along the way.
"Once you eliminate the obvious, whatever remains no matter how improbable, has to be the truth. If you use that to trouble shoot, you'll find the problem and be on your way to resolved it.

Trouble shooting can be frustrating and time consuming. Some times you get lucky and get it first thing. If you can't devote the time and effort, repair shops will be more than happy to fix the problem. And rape your wallet at the same time.
My philosophy about owning a computer goes like this: If you're going to own one you need to know how to trouble shoot and do repairs.

Hi Not to sound like a smart arse, but you smart people leave a lot to be desired when you reply to these threads.
What I mean is you expect some one like myself to know exactly what you're talking about, and you don't attach links. I looked up Knoppix 7. I guess it's a Linux live CD that you can use to trouble shoot your PC. Anyway here's the link!! Any explanation as to what Knoppix does would be greatly appreciated!
KNOPPIX 7.0 / ADRIANE 1.4 - Live CD / DVD
Gary!!
Just trying to learn guys and I don't mean to Hi-Jack!!
PS after carefully reading this thread again I saw the word after running IObit. That right there sends a red flag my way. Why are you using IObit software?? Why would anyone would use IObit blows my mind!!
it worked while iobit was scanning the system as soon as it was done it froze again.
if i stop moving the mouse for about a minute it will freeze

Last edited:
I use YUMI to make a dedicated USB thumb drive. Just down load the Knoppix 7 iso and YUMI and just follow the instructions for YUMI. When it's done you have a dedicated thumb drive with a working Knoppix operating system.
The trouble shooting tools are in the left column start menu.

PM sent to carnage.

Last edited:
I use YUMI to make a dedicated USB thumb drive. Just down load the Knoppix 7 iso and YUMI and just follow the instructions for YUMI. When it's done you have a dedicated thumb drive with a working Knoppix operating system.
The trouble shooting tools are in the left column start menu.
Yumi is a good tool for creating a multi-tool for troubleshooting of boot environments - and it's FOSS.

I think I'm done here at Techist. It's getting to be the same as over at CF. I'm done.

Not sure what you mean by this? If you prefer to discuss via PM rather than pollute the thread that's fine.

my laptop started freezing after i ran windows update. it haven't been updated for a while and had 79 important updates.

g62 will boot up and if i don't start moving a mouse right away it will freeze at startup.
i uninstalled mouse drivers from touchpad synaptics and used a usb mouse.
it worked while iobit was scanning the system as soon as it was done it froze again.
if i stop moving the mouse for about a minute it will freeze
before updates it would sit for few hours with no programs running or with programs and freeze
theres no memory issues or hard drive errors

if i could run any diagnostic i would but it freezes most of the time before diagnostic has a chance to finish.

it freezes in safe mode right away. no chance to do anything there either

Raver, If you can not complete a test on the harddrive or RAM then you cannot rule them out :cool: What software were you trying to use?

Try - SeaTools for HDD, and memtest86 for RAM.

Can you post your CPU temps? and are the fans running ok?

When you "try" the tests are you running a live USB? or trying to run the tests when booted into windows?

You say it still freezes in safe mode so that rules our drivers atleast..

Last edited:
well I guess I solved the problem.
caveman style.
now first I need to replace a hard drive then start over and see what is making it freeze.

I kinda smacked it around and damaged the hard drive lol

i ran chkdsk and memory test before it started acting up
and afterwards all the disk checkers freeze at some point even chkdsk fix bad sectors freezes

i ran chkdsk and memory test before it started acting up
and afterwards all the disk checkers freeze at some point even chkdsk fix bad sectors freezes

Definitely points to an HDD issue then if the tools can't even finish their task.

Back
Top Bottom