Which is a better choice?

rockinon96

Solid State Member
I was looking into buying a desktop for personal gaming and programming purposes... but I don't know which would be a better long term choice between the Intel Z97 and the Intel X99...

Buying or building?

In the long run it depends on how much you're willing to spend and if those programming or gaming purposes would utilize the features of X99 and more cores.

Well give me something to work with because I can rack that bill past 12 grand, realistically.

Streaming, video editing, rendering, high graphics, 4k, silence, large storage space, any of this?

This is the parts I'm putting into it, and that was the entire grant... not my budget...

[6 port] next internal USB expansion system

Intel i7 5960x (8x 3.0ghz/20mb L3 cache with 10% overclocking)

Next kraken X40 CPU cooling w/ 140mm radiator

64gb DDR4-2400/DDR4-2800 (corsair Vengeance-LPX)(which is better idk)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980ti - 6gb - EVGA superclocked single card for now.

MSI X99 Mpower motherboard 4x PCIE x16, 2 USB 3.1

700 watt power source (needs 600 watts)

1.2 TB Intel SSD 750 Series PCI-E SSD - read 2500Mb/s write 1200 mb/s

2tb 7200rpm hard drive + 512 GB ADATA SP900 SSD + 2 4GB hard drives --64M cache, 7200rpm, 6.0 Gb/s

2 Blue ray and DVD cd reader/burner

12-in-1 external USB media card reader/writeR

Next sentry lx fan control system, clock, and temperature display

Asus Conan Essence stx

Intel pro 10/100/1000 network card

And a PCI express USB 3.0 expansion card...

And yeah, I'll tell them I did, but get the parts...

You never mentioned that, but more than likely still way more than you need.

I mean if we break it down, why get a 5960x when you can get a Xeon with more cores for the money?

64GB of RAM is pretty pointless unless you're running a caching server or a ton of VMs.

For the money it's better to have 2 980TI, especially if you're running any resolution higher than 1080p. Preferably 3 if you want to do 4k.

Which means you'll need more PSU power.

What's with this drive selection? DId you just chose whatever they had at the top of the list?

Who needs an optical drive let alone 2? On that note, a media reader?

A Xonar Essence? At this point I'm pretty sure you're trying to make it as expensive as possible. Nobody in their right mind wants to deal with Asus driver headaches, especially with a new OS that's here and now.

Intel Gb card and USB expansion card, ontop of the 6 port USB expansion system? Who needs these? Depending on what variant of MSI board is selected the A variant has 10 USB ports on the back, 6 being USB3, 2 being USB2, and 2 being USB 3.1. What's the point of all that? It also has built in gigabit ethernet. Honestly if you have an application that requires the use of all this extra hardware you should just get yourself a proper server.

Back
Top Bottom