Video card(s) for two 4k and one 1920x1200 monitor

JB Rekit

In Runtime
As the title states, my objective is to get two 4k and my 1920x1200 monitors going on my office pc (specs below). I had 4 monitors running for several years on my ASUS Radeon HD 3870 X2 and thought that I could just add the inexpensive Radeon R7 250 for the first 4k monitor, but I guess my understanding of using multiple video cards is lacking...

The R7 was purchased to get the first 4k monitor up and running to see if I even liked it, but now that I've decided to do two 4ks, it looks like I'll be needing some new hardware to some extent. Just unsure as to what the best way to accomplish this might be.

Use is purely for work, no games on here at all (not even the solitaire/hearts/minesweeper). Reason for so many monitors is due to the number of programs and folders typically open and being accessed at any given time. Most demanding graphics would come from autocad (just 2D line drawings), everything else is microsoft office or websites/emails.

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 LE
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E LGA 2011 130W
Memory: TridentX Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)
Power supply: EVGA 120-G2-1600-X1 80 PLUS GOLD
Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i
Fans: multiple
HDDs: Samsung 850PRO SSD (operating system & programs)
Video Cards:
• ASUS Radeon HD 3870 X2 EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G
• HIS iCooler Boost Clock Radeon R7 250 H250FS2G
Monitors:
• Samsung 28" 4K
• Dell 24" Ultrabright - portrait
• LG 31" 4k (to replace a 24" Dell going bad)

First question is, are the two video cards listed capable of running together on the same system and I'm just not doing something correctly?

Second question depends on the first, but what would be the recommended way of handling this? Get another R7 250? Get something else for the two 4ks and use the 3870x2 for the other monitor?

Thanks for the help

That looks great, thanks! Can't take the other one back, but it will go in the parts closet until I need to make another computer for the office. Finally replaced the last pre-built computer with a home build last year. All have some parts leftover from continuously upgrading this computer over the years. Only thing left from the beginning is the case now. And maybe a SATA cable...

You're not joking about it being a space heater either. I had my AC contractor put in an extra supply and a return air in my office several years ago b/c of how bad it was.

The Samsung I already have is 60hz and the 31" LG is the 2nd one I was planning to add and it is 50/60hz as well. Just wanted to make sure I had the video card worked out before painting myself into a corner.

My initial reason for staying with the AMD card was b/c I thought that was all that was needed to run both at the same time.

Doing the hardware change kicked out my MS office activation for some reason so I had to go through that again.

Are there larger problems I should be concerned about changing over to Nvidia?

If I'm not using the other card anymore, It wouldn't be the end of the world for me to do a fresh install of everything again and get a new backup image to use.

Shouldn't have even had that Office issue honestly. When switching over you'll need to uninstall the current AMD drivers and run DDU before installing the new Nvidia drivers. Other than that should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom