LCD Screen

Sean.

Solid State Member
Hi there I have just bought a new screen for my computer. I am using this screen to watch my movies / catch up programs. The problem I have is my main monitor is now displaying the desktop whilst the secondary screen is in use. What damage and effects does this have on my LCD screen? and what can I do to avoid / reduce this?

Thanks,

Sean.

Hi there I have just bought a new screen for my computer. I am using this screen to watch my movies / catch up programs. The problem I have is my main monitor is now displaying the desktop whilst the secondary screen is in use. What damage and effects does this have on my LCD screen? and what can I do to avoid / reduce this?

Thanks,

Sean.

That won't damage anything.

If you want only one display at a time, then you can press Windows Key + P to bring up the screen switcher, and select if you want to Duplicate, Extend (which is what you have right now), or display only on one of the displays.

You can also do that by right clicking the desktop -> Screen Resolution -> select the appropriate option from the dropdown.

Though why wouldn't you want to have both displays going? It's great for productivity.

Thanks carnageX,

The reason I don't want to monitors on is just because I'm watching a movie on a 42" monitor and the mac monitor is below this. It can be quite distracting.

Thanks again,

Sean.

Ah fair enough. I've done that as well when watching movies on my computer with multiple monitors.

Though, can you not just turn off the monitor for the mac without turning off the entire machine? That's what I used to do, that way I didn't have to mess with settings all the time.

Sorry carnageX I should have been clear.

I am running a imac which has the processer / other major parts built in to the screen.

Sean.

It's an all in one type of system. From what I saw in the pictures of it, I didn't see an external monitor plug. How you running the TV?
If you can't black out the main screen just get a sheet of poster board and do some cut, fold and tape to make a hood to go over it. Black would be best so it fades out of your vision.

You can check in the screen savers and see if there is a blank setting. If there is you set the time for the saver to run down to one minute. Being a mac there's no telling how they have idle time to screen blank or if they have screen savers at all.

You can check in the screen savers and see if there is a blank setting. If there is you set the time for the saver to run down to one minute. Being a mac there's no telling how they have idle time to screen blank or if they have screen savers at all.

That wouldn't really help when watching a movie, though.

Back
Top Bottom