IDE not registering hard drive randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokivn

Baseband Member
so many problems associated with the new MoBo ... I have upgraded every driver I can think of and the bios, the IDE drive only sporadically registers the hard drive or cd drives, it seems finicky... it'll work if it's in there just right but a bit ago for no reason it said i had no hard drive so i had to keep plugging and unplugging until it said i did.

i thought bad ram was to blame for random system hangups but maybe it's a faulty harddrive? i'm testing the ram now.... would a reformat help or does it sound like the HD is breaking?

check your psu rails, get into your bios and look at them. Please tell us what your rails are and your vcore... What is your vcore set at also?

all are listed as 'OK' by the motherboard, with no options to change any of them.

ok that's fine then, hopefully.. Have you tried using a known working optical drive and seeing if it will work, perhaps from another computer or whatever. See if it will load during the post.. Same with the HD, find another one you know works, do the same, in fact you should try to start replacing everything.. I'm thinking it's the PSU right now (regardless of what the mobo says) or it could very well be the mobo...

using AMIDiag I tested the hard drive... it found a bad block and didn't run the test at 0%. does this mean a failing hard drive is to blame for random system hangups and failure for the MoBo to register it sometimes?

yea eric's idea could always be a possibility, but yes, i think it sounds like your drive could be going bad, you should try to swap 'em with another computer and find out for sure..

bought a new HD tonight as the other was 4-5 years old anyway, let's hope that fixes it.. I'd switched between two cables and still had the same problem so it wasn't that.

thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom