Computer Problem!

Barnakk

Beta member
After a week away from my computer, my computer is suddenly super slow. Start up is real slow. Unbearable actually.

And when the computer finally starts up, all programs run extremely slowly.

I have windows 8.1 if that helps

Was your computer on or off during the week away?

Would recommend trying to do a disk check firstly:
Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

Hi A chkdsk would be a good place to start! Here's some other suggestions you can try if that checks out OK!!
Optimize Windows for better performance - Windows Help
No matter how fast or shiny computers might be when they're new, they all seem to get slower over time. That state-of-the-art PC you bought last year might not feel like such a screamer after you install a dozen programs, load it with antispyware and antivirus tools, and download untold amounts of junk from the Internet. The slowdown might happen so gradually that you hardly notice it, until one day you're trying to open a program or file and wonder, "What happened to my poor PC?"
Whatever the cause, there are lots of ways to help speed up Windows and make your PC work better—even without upgrading your hardware. Here are some tips to help you optimize Windows 7 for faster performance.

Back
Top Bottom