I need some ideas for my old Tech.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Man People of TF. I have so much Crap lying around you wouldn't believe me. I love to hoard my tech and throw nothing out. I have hundreds of cables up on hundreds. I currently have three systems what need parts to get up and running as a fully working system.

I'm kinda asking if their is any ideas for the old tech I have to recycle it with out giving it away to anyone and use it my self. I have seen Videos on you tube were people have turned PSU in to Lasers, salvaged components from the likes of the MoBo. I have no idea what to do with it.

I currently have an Acer L100 a generic factory made desktop and a G4 ML 350 HP Pro Lient. Can anyone help with videos or reply and recycle a use out of thees for mabie a cool project.

How would I create a Hardware Firewall. What do I need to do. i don't know if you have to install any software to do this.

I could set this up on my Xeon HP Pro Lient. But have no idea were to start.

EDIT: Would I be correct in thinking I could use my old server for a Hardware Firewall. The ML350 . Do you know if I need to install an OS link Mint then install the likes of IP Cop or pfsence .

I've been reading, and I think the power consumption could be quite big from this old machine but I've looked up the specks in writing online.

Hears the link: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04284115.pdf

Looking at the OS's it doesn't support much in the way of Linux but I'm curious how I would connect it up like my router or if I have to buy something like a network card. What about the telephone cable in to the back of the router, then the Ethernet back out in to the switch.

Last edited:
pfSense

You'd need at least 2 network cards if you're just going to use it as a firewall (one as an input and one as an output) - more if you want to make it into a router (unless you hook up a switch to it).

pfSense

You'd need at least 2 network cards if you're just going to use it as a firewall (one as an input and one as an output) - more if you want to make it into a router (unless you hook up a switch to it).

I know it was a stupid question but I had to ask for piece of mind just to make sure I wasn't getting confused. I have on my HP ProLient G4 ML350 a Management Ethernet connection I think and a acutall Ethernet port for internet connectivity. The only thing I have that is an added extra is a 750W PSU as a hot swap PSU.

So it looks like its out the question building a Hardware Firewall until I at least get a Network Interface Card; like you say for I\O .

I have this system, the HP Server with 3 SCSI Drives at 10.000 RPM and are pretty nippy and quick. But I cant think what I can do with it. Linux is limited as far as I'm aware but don't know what if any OS's I can put on it.

Try butting Ubuntu on it. It's a really clean, fresh distro and seemed to speed up my old ThinkPad T61 after years sitting idle on XP. Then, with Ubuntu you can easily set it up to use as a server.

Is a Hackintosh out of the equation?

Back
Top Bottom