Protecting USB data from deletion

billcarson

Beta member
Hi, I have all of my family photos, work documents etc., backed up on an external hard drive. I am concerned, because unlike my pc, there is no recycling bin, therefore, if anything is accidentally deleted, its gone for good. Is there any way to lock a folder or file so it cannot be deleted accidentally? Or, is there any software that exists like a recycle bin specifically for external USB storage devices?

Thanks, Bill Carson

If you do a regular delete and not a shift+delete it does store the deleted item in the recycle bin.

I suggest checking out the following article that explains NTFS permissions:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/277867

So you'd want to restrict the Full Control & Modify permissions to only certain groups.

Hi, Not on xp. Anytime I delete something from any USB storage device, it is not sent to the recycle bin, it just disappears. I apologize, but I'm not very tech savvy, so I had difficulty understanding the other technical jargon you were suggesting.

The permissions still apply even though you're not on XP.

Read this to get an understanding of how the recycle bin works for Windows and drives:
External hard drive has recycle bin--how to access? - Forums - CNET

For setting permissions, you would have to right click the folder -> Security tab -> modify the permissions through that dialog. You can restrict permissions to only certain groups - so you could modify the Everyone and/or non-Administrator groups to remove the Modify security permission.

OK. Thanks, I'll give it a try. I just found a program called ibin, apparently, it's specifically designed for USB devices. Anyone know if this is reliable and safe to use?

Never used it, but it seems to be a very simple program, just make sure you download a safe version

Back
Top Bottom