simple questions

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
what, does the CR2032 battery on the motherboard do, and what happens when it goes dead? also, does it get charged by the system in any way when the computer is plugged in and or running? i am trying to resurrect a long dead computer, by swapping parts out with other dead computers. since none of them work, there is nothing lost. and it keeps my old noodle from shriveling up to the size of a peanut.

Its the battery for the CMOS which holds data for the Bios, if you take it out then there is no power to the CMOS and it loses all its memory (as its volatile) and resets the data to default. it does not get charged by the system but the battery lasts years.. when you have say a password on the bios and you forgot it, pull the battery out and it clears all the information and password in the CMOS.

Normally when you find your time is resetting on your PC/ laptop when you boot up, that can be because the CMOS battery is dying so it keeps resetting so it would be replaced.

Last edited:
Something I didnt know, which I read is when the PC boots up it takes power from the PSU but when it shuts down the battery kicks in, thats how it lasts so long.

well, unless you KNOW, you dont. its as simple as that. there is no shame in not knowing something. unless of course, you had been taught, and forgot, or ignored the information. no person can know everything.

Never said it was a bad thing not knowing - I just assumed it logically: When the computer is on, it wouldn't require a battery source since it has it's own power. But when it's off, there isn't a power source so the battery would kick on.

sorry, it just sounded like a "polite" dig. i dislike it when a thread turns into a p***ing match. to me, that is totally uncalled for. and i have seen it to many times on several different forums.

Never said it was a bad thing not knowing - I just assumed it logically: When the computer is on, it wouldn't require a battery source since it has it's own power. But when it's off, there isn't a power source so the battery would kick on.

I know you never meant that, I dont know what the guy above is talking about lol.. I just find it funny (to myself) I didnt think of it. It makes perfect logical sense.

Its the same as anything else like UPS.

sorry, it just sounded like a "polite" dig. i dislike it when a thread turns into a p***ing match. to me, that is totally uncalled for. and i have seen it to many times on several different forums.

Wasn't intending it to be a dig of any sort - that's why I included the tongue smiley ;).

Back
Top Bottom