[newguy] looking for advice on a new build

GJ106

Solid State Member
Hey there Guys / Gals,

I'm brand new here literally just registered but these forums look like an absolute godsend with a very nice community (i've lurked for a while) for people like me who like to (or are looking to) build, upgrade, etc well i don't need to go into all that basically; Hi, im Glenn (GJ106) and was wondering if i could grab some advice from you guys/gals?

my question;

Do i upgrade to skylake....yup thats right, i asked it i am currently on a Q2800 QUAD 2.3ghz with a 550ti, 4gb of DDR3 ram

that's right a REALLY old system, but its lasted me well, i can play skyrim on High settings with a smooth 25-30fps (25 in the bigger fights/cities) and thats really the most demanding game i play other than that its photoshop / league of legends / GW2 and it would be other more demanding tittles like the new FPS's coming out if i could handle them.

now is it WORTH paying/upgrading to skylake right now? or would i be best just going with a cheaper G3258 with the upgrade path however obviously with no DDR4 /future upgrade path?

i'm at a cross-roads and really can't decide if going wit h the G3258 (or say a 4670k) will be just fine for another 3-5 years, as i know theres new stuff all the time and intel LOVE changing there damned sockets.

thanks in advance sorry for the ramble and i hope i can help some of you in the future in return!

- Glenn out.

(i've lurked for a while)

Stranger danger!
strangerdanger.jpg

Do i upgrade to skylake....yup thats right, i asked it i am currently on a Q2800 QUAD 2.3ghz with a 550ti, 4gb of DDR3 ram

that's right a REALLY old system, but its lasted me well, i can play skyrim on High settings with a smooth 25-30fps (25 in the bigger fights/cities) and thats really the most demanding game i play other than that its photoshop / league of legends / GW2 and it would be other more demanding tittles like the new FPS's coming out if i could handle them.

now is it WORTH paying/upgrading to skylake right now? or would i be best just going with a cheaper G3258 with the upgrade path however obviously with no DDR4 /future upgrade path?

i'm at a cross-roads and really can't decide if going wit h the G3258 (or say a 4670k) will be just fine for another 3-5 years, as i know theres new stuff all the time and intel LOVE changing there damned sockets.

thanks in advance sorry for the ramble and i hope i can help some of you in the future in return!

- Glenn out.

All joking aside, I'm not the one to ask about builds. I don't custom most of my builds myself. I'm sure somebody else will get you an answer on this, though. :)

haha well that made me laugh :)

i plan to build almost immeditley, 1-2months maximum. so just go ahead for a 4690k or some such you reckon?

was going to go for a z97 msi board or asus and a 750ti or 770 whatever i can afford at the time, i may even use my 550ti as a stand in and get the 770 the month after, good / bad choices?

Yes the 770 is good but already older, If you could save a little I'd suggest a 970 because it will max almost all games at 1080 or less, Higher res is where it will struggle. If on a budget I too would suggest the 960 and it's priced well too.

A 960 is already like a 680, which is only about 2% slow stock than a 770. Only thing the 770 has on those two is RAM bandwidth, but doesn't mean much at 1080p. A good eVGA 960 will boost like a mother and run 1080p like a cheap champ.

Back
Top Bottom