i5-6600k or i7-4790k @ same price?

azor7878

Baseband Member
Hi, i'm still at it, it's almost a year now and i'm about to finish the upgrades!

Basically i can get the i5 + mobo + 8gb of ddr4 ram for the same price as i7 + mobo and reuse my HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866MHz CL10.
My question is which one will be faster and last longer?

I'm concerned that i7 is the older architecture with older ram but at the same time i'm already throwing out my M5A99FX and would hate to also replace just bought ddr3 ram + i5 build will be half in ram capacity for the same money.

Here are some benchmarks i found (sorry for Polish, this is the best i have).

stock:
Testy – gry (Assassin's Creed Unity, Arma III) :: PCLab.pl
Testy – gry (Battlefield 4, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive) :: PCLab.pl
Testy – gry (Crysis 3, Far Cry 4) :: PCLab.pl
Testy – gry (GTA V, Wied¼min 3, Watch Dogs) :: PCLab.pl
Testy – gry (Project CARS, StarCraft 2, Total War: Attila) :: PCLab.pl

oc:
Podkrêcanie – gry (Assassin's Creed Unity, Arma III) :: PCLab.pl
Podkrêcanie – gry (Battlefield 4, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive) :: PCLab.pl
Podkrêcanie – gry (Crysis 3, Far Cry 4) :: PCLab.pl
Podkrêcanie – gry (GTA V, Wied¼min 3, Watch Dogs) :: PCLab.pl
Podkrêcanie – gry (Project CARS, StarCraft 2, Total War: Attila) :: PCLab.pl

My current PC specs:
Windows 7 64bit
Corsair 230t
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Corsair CX500M
Phenom II x6 1055t @ stock
CoolerMaster 212 evo
GTX 970 G1 Gaming
HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866
Samsung 840 evo 120gb
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

Well I remember you but not what you wanted to do. Either is fine. DDR4 doesn't bring any improvements to the table and Skylake is still only a marginal increase in IPC over Haswell. HT on the i7 won't help you for gaming so in the end it's up to you whether you want to go with the current platform or with the new platform.

What's the deal with sli on this board? It says quad sli but it has ony 3 x16 slots.

@edit:
I also found MSI Z97S SLI KRAIT EDITION It looks better than ASRock and will suit my build, is it much better/worse?

Last edited:
Haswell only has 16 lanes, so only 2 graphics cards at a time. The third PCI-E slot is a 2.0 slot and not used for a GPU. Quad-SLI means 2 dual GPU cards like 2 GTX TItan Z. Not 4 cards.

The Krait is fine. My beef with any Z97 besides ASRock are they don't have Ultra M.2 slots, but I have a 4x M.2 SSD too so if you don't plan to get one then don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom