Have a hard disk acting strange, any ideas on how to fix?

jschultz0614

Beta member
I have a 1TB Seagate barracuda SATA drive that seems to not want to work when it is warm. Basically I turn off the computer to do a minor internal repair and there goes the drive. I have been able to get it working and it keeps working even when I reboot (not a shutdown). It seems that it works when it has had a chance to come to room temp. Anyone know what I can do to get this thing working and keep working even after a shutdown and power up (besides replacing the drive)?

I have checked all the controllers and they are working fine.

All I can think of is having a go at torquing the screws on the hard drive to their manufactured specification, they might have altered. If that doesn't work then it's probably going to need a new drive... often you can put your HDD in the freezer and it'll work for a bit longer, maybe giving you time to get the data off it!

May be worth running a disk check on the drive.

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

Back
Top Bottom