Upgrading SSD Issues

Roggrosse

Beta member
I have a ASUS ROG G751JT , Windows 8.1, with a 256gb SSD drive that I want to upgrade to a 500gb SSD. I used the cloning software provided with the new SSD but the new drive wont boot. It automatically goes to the blue recovery screen on startup and cant find any restore points or recovery image files on the other hard drive (1tb HDD).

What am I doing wrong?

Also I noticed the cloning software automatically designates the space allocation based on the partitions of the old drive. Over half of the new drive is partitioned for the d:? Is that necessary and is it possible to change that? my main reason for the upgrade is to get more c: space as I filled up the available 90gb pretty quickly.

I also noticed that after cloning, the clone has new designated drive letters, instead of c/d its H/I. Is this designation an issue even though I'm switching out the SSD's and restarting?

Any help is appreciated....

I have a ASUS ROG G751JT , Windows 8.1, with a 256gb SSD drive that I want to upgrade to a 500gb SSD. I used the cloning software provided with the new SSD but the new drive wont boot. It automatically goes to the blue recovery screen on startup and cant find any restore points or recovery image files on the other hard drive (1tb HDD).

What am I doing wrong?

Also I noticed the cloning software automatically designates the space allocation based on the partitions of the old drive. Over half of the new drive is partitioned for the d:? Is that necessary and is it possible to change that? my main reason for the upgrade is to get more c: space as I filled up the available 90gb pretty quickly.

I also noticed that after cloning, the clone has new designated drive letters, instead of c/d its H/I. Is this designation an issue even though I'm switching out the SSD's and restarting?

Any help is appreciated....

You might have to run a chkdsk /r on the new SSD before you can boot from it. Whilst booting from the new SSD can you keep tapping F8 so you can get into the "Repair" options, you can also try the startup repair if you get to this menu.

The letter designation doesn't matter too much to be honest, you can change driver letters if you want anyway, so it's no big issue! :)

You can resize the partitions afterwards, just worry about getting the PC booted up from your new SSD first :)

I'd use CloneZilla to clone the SSD over personally. You can clone the entire disk over and it should include he boot partition.

Then you can resize partitions after the clone and making sure it boots correctly. I recommend using a GParted Live CD to resize partitions as it gives a nice GUI to do it in.

Yeah, clone zilla should do the magic. I've upgraded my HDD with clone zilla. The system boot perfectly on the new HDD. As to partition software, I think free easus partition master is also good.

Back
Top Bottom