Official Windows 10 Thread

Microsoft religiously f*cks up every other release. XP was great, Vista wasnt, 7 was great, 8 wasnt... so if this stays true 10 should be great.

To me, 8 is an enhanced 7 with a new, optional user interface that I opt not to use.

Microsoft religiously f*cks up every other release. XP was great, Vista wasnt, 7 was great, 8 wasnt... so if this stays true 10 should be great.
And yet there were 3 people that just said Vista was fine as long as you had decent hardware at the time. Like PP said, it was a forward thinking OS, pushing hardware forward. Blame the OEM's for putting **** hardware in the systems they sold, not Microsoft for trying to innovate.

Win8 has a lot of under the hood tweaks (as well as some beneficial UI tweaks like the new Task Manager and ribbon UI in the file explorer) that people overlook just because they "don't like the Metro UI" or that "OMG IT DOESN'T HAVE A START BUTTON!".

To me, 8 is an enhanced 7 with a new, optional user interface that I opt not to use.

+1 to this. I really like Win8 and have 0 issues with it. I never see any of the metro / modern UI stuff unless I choose to. The same will be for Win10.

There's about 6-ish reasons I use 8.1 over 7 these days:
- The new file copy dialog supplants my need for Teracopy
- Built-in ISO mounting supplants my need for PowerISO/DaemonTools
- Built-in USB3 support (which makes me realise how much 7 is starting to show its age)
- Faster boot and wake-from-sleep times
- Being able to have different desktop backgrounds on each monitor
- Improved battery life on my laptop
- A fresh install of 8.1 Update has the WiFi drivers for my laptop, which 7 does not
- Nicer, flatter UI (subjective)
- Improved security just because it's more modern

None of these are major reasons to use 8 over 7, but there's enough little reasons that make it so that if I am going to be reformatting anyway - something I do at least once a year - it may as well be 8 instead of 7. Or, as of tomorrow, 10.

Last edited:
"- Improved security just because it's more modern"

That... is a lie IMO. M$ deliberately weakened Bitlocker from 7 to 8, and to top it off, just because it's more modern, doesn't mean it's more secure.

"- Improved security just because it's more modern"

That... is a lie IMO. M$ deliberately weakened Bitlocker from 7 to 8, and to top it off, just because it's more modern, doesn't mean it's more secure.

I think he was referring to general system security, not BitLocker specifically.

Besides, there's better 3rd party encryption tools out there than BitLocker.

It's not optional. You need to install 3rd party software to bring previous functionality back. In 10 it's optional, and the way they have it setup is nice.

I think he was referring to general system security, not BitLocker specifically.

Which is funny because we're moving to Bitlocker here. HA

I was referring more to how M$ bends at the request of major first world governments when it comes to creating back-doors that they have to later patch when someone else discovers them.

Bitlocker was just an example of how they have bent to the demands of the US government.

OK all corny stuff aside, what are collective thoughts on this WIn 10 for gaming??/ I am totally happy with my WIn7 , solid, steady, runs like a watch.My Comp was just built in 2013, and is still pretty up to date,Intel i5-3570K, @ 3.40ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX670. I'm just wondering if I should upgrade, I guess Ill wait a bit till the world DL's it and finds all the bugs and such performance issues then DL it.

Your Thoughts????

OK all corny stuff aside, what are collective thoughts on this WIn 10 for gaming??/ I am totally happy with my WIn7 , solid, steady, runs like a watch.My Comp was just built in 2013, and is still pretty up to date,Intel i5-3570K, @ 3.40ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX670. I'm just wondering if I should upgrade, I guess Ill wait a bit till the world DL's it and finds all the bugs and such performance issues then DL it.

Your Thoughts????

Should be the same as Win8.1 until DX12 games start releasing. That's when the biggest performance gains will come in.

Back
Top Bottom