Building a Beowulf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about my electricity bill... that may be a factor on how long the computers will be on in a certain period. Maybe I could have a black out day where the only thing on would be the computers... My father is giving me his old Pentium 266MMX computer... that will be in about a week or two when I see him next.

i have a suggestion, if you are worried about electricity cost, then why not remove the cd-rom drives once you dont need them anymore, along with everything but mobo/cpu/psu/nic/hdd... just an idea, and obviously you wont be needing a monitor for each... so electricity shouldn't be too high methinks....

i have a suggestion, if you are worried about electricity cost, then why not remove the cd-rom drives once you dont need them anymore, along with everything but mobo/cpu/psu/nic/hdd... just an idea, and obviously you wont be needing a monitor for each... so electricity shouldn't be too high methinks....

Hey , good one Leonidas ;) .. ..but except for the montior ,all other hardware consumes only a few watts. So its enuf to switch off the monitor I guess..

well how much is controlled by the main comp? do you even need graphics on the other computers? those chips run some energy too, and while you are at it, why not go with 2 comps mounted in one box or look for a very cheap way to get 2 in one large server case(drilling holes for mobos on both sides, some of the real large cases ive seen for cheap could hold 2 mobos and setups especially since all you need are 2 harddrives in teh bays.

i was looking for possible computers online that you could get for real cheap incase you were planning on expanding your collection of folding comps for your beowulf and came upon this which seemed like a good deal:

dual processor, RAM, mobo, all together 75$ and can upgrade to dual 800mhz max, that sounds pretty powerful to me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...15&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

note: i stand to benefit not at all from the above purchase :D

That looks nice, it's just a waiting game now until the weekend after next weekend (2 weeks from tomorrow), that is when I will get the first computer.

Good news, I will be getting 2 working computers from my father instead of just one. The other one he is giving me is my step-moms old one that she had before they got married, and I believe it's between 500 - 1500mhz... ( .5 - 1.5ghz ).

Well I got a bunch of stuff from my fathers house today... a Pentium 266mmx working computer, various items like modems, network cards, scsi adapters, usb (1) hubs, and just6 a shitload of stuff. I will be getting the faster computer fairly soon he just had to get some stuff off of the other computer.

Well the psu in this old pc is dead... I need to get an at psu... doesn't need to be more than 200watts. I am looking through this stuff my dad gave me, and wow, a couple cpus, 2 mobos...

Well here is the official list so far:
BIOTEQ MOBO with Intel OverDrive cpu... (idk what speed and can't find crap on this mobo.... The cpu is like built in or something. The heatsink is part of the processor and it uses some sort of ram that predates SDRAM... it's from 1989-1993... LOL its like PIN SIMM Ram.
Trident SuperVGA 2mb video card
Intel Pentium 133 MHZ CPU
Gigabyte motherboard with Pentium MMX CPU.. I believe it's 233
Faulty 200Watt PSU
4 different Dial-Up modems
Adaptec SCSI adapter... my father calls it scuzzy.
2 Etherlink III Internet adapters.

I think thats pretty good...

Will have atleast 1 working computer in less than a week. I will try to get pics soon. People are complaining about my room now, thefloor is littered with pc parts..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom