Computer taking forever to boot

Update. Tried removing everything except cpu and RAM. still nothing. I'm going to order a new cmos battery. I tried seating it in many ways to insure it was placed in correctly, but no dice.

Interesting. Just removed CMOS battery and put it back in slot. Computer won't power on at all now. Bad battery, perhaps?

A bad battery will not cause what you're seeing. A bad battery would cause it to give you an error that the battery has an issue. If there is no power to anything now, I would suspect the power supply, then the motherboard, in that order. Power supplies can do some weird stuff if the voltage isn't right. It can also fry a mobo. Swap a test power supply into that thing and see if it fires up. Make sure all of the connections are in (particularly the two power cables for the mobo as you'll get absolutely nothing without those).

Bad CMOS battery wouldn't prevent it from booting. That would only prevent BIOS settings from being saved.

If you're getting bad RAM codes, then I'd send in your RAM for warranty (depending on the brand, it's usually lifetime warranty). Could take it to a computer shop and see if they'll test it for you since you don't have a booting system (if it could at least boot up, I'd suggest just running Memtes86+ yourself).

Edit: ninja'd by MidnightShadow

Thanks guys. That will have to be the next step. I at
least have power back to it now. The power supply may be the culprit as it's the only thing I didn't swap out when I did a new build. Thanks for all the help, and I'll update when I've solved the issue.

Back
Top Bottom