Which printer do you suggest?

aimo3

In Runtime
Hi,

I have got a single user in my office who requires a lot of printing and copying. he may print 100 pages on one day, but he may not print anything for a few other days.

What kind of printer or which model do you suggest?

What kind of printer or which model do you suggest?

I would suggest a LaserJet of some sort. If you don't need to print in color, then a monochrome LJ printer to save money. The brand depends on what you are looking to do. Some places have a contract that you can purchase for regular maintenance in case the unit goes down. Otherwise, you can purchase one outright. I have a personal preference for HP products, but Konica and Xerox machines are really good as well.

I would suggest a LaserJet of some sort. If you don't need to print in color, then a monochrome LJ printer to save money. The brand depends on what you are looking to do. Some places have a contract that you can purchase for regular maintenance in case the unit goes down. Otherwise, you can purchase one outright. I have a personal preference for HP products, but Konica and Xerox machines are really good as well.

I was thinking that laser printer are the once of heavy duty office printing, but yesterday I found that isn't necessarily the case. For instance, some HP Officejet multifunction printers are heavy duty as well and the capacity of their ink cartridges can reach up to 9000+ pages (like in HP OJ Pro X476dw).

The salesman who explained to me about inkjet printers say that the concept has been changed in the last few years and inkjet printers are now competing in the business sector for text printing (not only picture printing). He added that the only reason why laser printers are still more expensive is because their toners don't expire if you don't use it for a long while. So schools for instance, keep their printers idle for the summer holiday. If they have an HP OJ printer, they will likely have to replace all its cartridges at the start of the new year.

This is as far as the inkjet/laser is concerned. How much do you agree with he claims?

On the other hand, I still don't know what is the different between the multifunction products of those companies which started with printers and scanners like HP, and those companies which started with photocopiers like Xerox. What is the difference? Is it true that HP MFPs are not so good in photocopying as their Xerox counterparts?

To be honest, copiers either work or they don't. That said, I don't have a graphic eye so I don't look for perfection. You get what you get when you make a copy.

As for the laser printers versus inkjets, I would imagine that the ink still costs a good deal more than the toner when it comes to a per page costs. Even if the page yield has increases for ink, it may still be cheaper to go with toner. Plus, you don't have to worry about the ink drying up and clogging the ports, so there's that, too.

Cost aside, it's just a personal preference at that point. For me, it's all about cost.

@ MidnightShadow
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

@ iParanormal
Why Monochrome when my user needs colour?

That HP Pro 476dw printer takes two different ink tank sizes, the XL black shows that it can do 9,200 pages, but the standard is only 3000. The color ink tanks get even less @ 2,500 and 6,600 for the XL tanks
That 9,200 black ink cartridge costs $120. and that's only the black
You should compare laser cartridges and the paper quantity you can print from those

Last edited:
That HP Pro 476dw printer takes two different ink tank sizes, the XL black shows that it can do 9,200 pages, but the standard is only 3000. The color ink tanks get even less @ 2,500 and 6,600 for the XL tanks
That 9,200 black ink cartridge costs $120. and that's only the black
You should compare laser cartridges and the paper quantity you can print from those

Thant's right. And the difference between the prices of the high and low capacity cartridges is way less than the difference in the number of page each can print. But do you know how much does an HP laser toner of the same capacity cost?

Back
Top Bottom