First Build, any Issues?

FOLIO3

Beta member
My very first build, have almost zero practical knowledge, all internet research.
So far the build is as follows: here
the website I'm on gives a check for compatibility issues but is there any mre detailed stuff I missed?
Plus any tips on the actual build process would be much appreciated.

you could get rid of the sound card since on board sound are pretty good now days, unless you need the sound card for something specific. Also if this build is for gaming drop the i7 to a i5 4690k and use the cash your saving from that and getting rid of the sound card to get a GTX 970 at least.

Yup get rid of the sound card, drop from i7 to i5 if its for gaming.... reduce 32gb ram to 16gb, upgrade the graphics card to 970 and replace PSU with seasonic brand.

Ok thanks all. I think I might keep the 32gb just to future proof plus I already ordered that part :p
But seriously thanks I'll implement the rest of those changes now

No 32 is way overkill, heck 16 is overkill.
8 gb of ram is more than enough even for gaming

Agreed, if you were running a server or higher end graphics programs you MIGHT actually use it, Only reason I got 16 was because it was on sale at the time for a minimal amount over 8 gig.

32GB of RAM is definitely overkill for now, and it's not worth future-proofing because in the future components are always cheaper for a higher level of performance anyway.

16GB of RAM is fine (8GB would probably be fine too).

You're going to get frustrated with only a 128GB SSD, I'd recommend getting one at least 250GB in size!

An i7 is kind of overkill for modern gaming, a high-end i5 will perform just as well in a practical situation.

Unless you're buying an external sound-card for a specific reason or role, then don't, just use the integrated sound.

Use the money saved from cutting down on the RAM, CPU and sound card to buy a GTX970 instead of a GTX960

EDIT: Just tried the options above, the PC actually comes out 100 quid cheaper than it was in the original build! :)

Last edited:
I gamed pretty ok on 4GB, and a bit better on 6GB with a dated CPU and modern GPU. 8GB is and will continue to be the sweet spot until all games and engines go 64bit. The problem is, with ever increasing VRAM textures are being completely cached in VRAM and system RAM is only good for mission data and other such non-critical stuff. Unless something drastically changes I don't see this changing anytime soon meaning games should stick around the 2-3.5GB range for a while.

Back
Top Bottom