Is this a good thing or a bad thing? (AMD a8 3800)

ashtrayzz

Solid State Member
So... To make a long story short.

I ended up somehow super clocking my computer at a stable 4.7 GHz.

And the default for this APU is 2.4GHz (Runs at 2.3GHz)

I don't know how and why my computer runs this stable without breaking down its kinda freaking me out. Unless I'm just some noob at PC who doesn't know whats going on.

But from the looks of I, I basically somehow super clocked my CPU and its not burning out , turning off, nothing.

Here are some results that I got.

Screenshot by Lightshot

Screenshot by Lightshot

So at first I was like nice 4.1GHz , on all 4 cores.

I thought this was its limit, and it was kind of impressive to run that fast on such low temp levels.

Than I kept mingling around and I got up to 4.7 GHz AT PRETTY MUCH THE SAME COOLING LEVELS.

And btw, I'm using this other program called Prime 95 it basically does something with 4 threads and it keeps the cooling level low.

Question is, why is it running at such fast levels and my pc isn't overheating? Is this safe?

I've tried playing games on the 4.1 GHz and it was amazing.

Haven't tried 4.7 GHz will try soon.

Screenshot by Lightshot

P.S. My friend was the one who showed me about this program, and one time we tried overclocking it over teamviewer and we had maxed it out max CPU VOLTAGE and NB VOLTAGE and max Turbo Core and he was shocked that my computer didn't shut down and passed the stabability test.

Because his had shut down, and he has a way better CPU than mine.

Mine isn't even that good, its stock non upgraded HP Pavilion.

...Prime95 has nothing to do with keeping "cooling level low" it's a stability test that causes your processor to run as hot as possible while performing a math computation over and over to ensure that the system is "stable".

Second, what are you using to check the frequencies?

Software overclocking on most systems doesn't work at all, and if you max out the voltage on anything with stock cooling, or even water cooling in most aspects, you will fry equipment.

In all honesty, you should use HWMonitor and CPU-Z to check your temps, voltages, and actual clock rates, chances are the motherboard on your HP machine is ignoring the frequency changes the software is requesting.

Prime95 just runs linpack stress tests to test for stability and can run a mix of RAM usage and max CPU usage to ensure stability while utilizing your whole machine. The CPU getting hot is just the byproduct :lol:

To the OP, as was said, I doubt it's actually running at that frequency with only 1.3v according to that software. If you aren't OCing with the bios then more than likely it's just the software reading the clocks wrong. Definitely doubt it on the stock cooler.

Screenshot by Lightshot

Those were my results including the temp.

Yeah it wasn't running at 4.7GHz but at 4.2GHz

Which is still pretty decent with these cool temperatures and not overheating.

I'm impressed with this stable clock , just ran a benchmark test.
It was great.

I can run games real smooth no problem.

What does HWMonitor from cpuid.com show for your temps?

Something still doesn't seem right since the multiplier on those processors is locked and can't be adjusted by the user AFAIK.

You may want to read this on A8-3800 processors... True Fusion: AMD A8-3800 APU Review. Page 22 - X-bit labs

Screenshot by Lightshot

Those are my Temps since running the overclock.

I haven't even shut off my PC ever since I ran this clock, gonna do it now though.

Heh, don't know anything about that source but oh well. Obviously my specific desktop can handle it if it performs this well stable days straight.

Pretty cool actually, my friend says my case has a very good stock fan cooler.

I think last time I went to install my graphics card, I saw two fans so thats probably why. Idk.

But yeah, thanks for these programs now I can monitor my overclock and all that.

Good looks.

....I still have insainly seriously high as hell doubts that is healthy at all for that rig. But hey, if you start to get errors in a year, don't say I didn't warn you. Also, is that 65C at full load, or idle? Because that temp is a little... too high in all honesty.

No its not in idle temps, those are the temps I get when overclocking.

I only overclock when I get in game, after I'm done I stop the clock and I'm back at a stable 40C.

From what I read danger zone temps are if I get to 70-80C than thats something I should worry about, I may be wrong.

Last edited:
I highly doubt it's a stable 4.7GHz OC (no offence meant here), that's pretty much a 100% OC which on the AMD APUs simply do not happen. I would guess the software is telling you lies :D

Back
Top Bottom