New $800 Build

steve10765

Daemon Poster
So I'm selling my current computer for $880 today, was aiming to pocket $100 and build a new, better computer at the same time.

GTX 960 build or R9 380 build $3 difference.
This is the case I will be using :)
Its atleast an alright upgrade, not so much on the GPU front though. Opinions? I'm not sure if having the R9 might be too much heat for that case, but it's a bit better sooo...

NOTES-
620w seasonic was only 2$ than 520w so why not.

Thanks

Last edited:
The 960 is actually really good for what it is. it also has a TON of headroom (if you get one with an 8pin power).

You could save about 50 bucks if you went with an H81 board and a i5 4440.

At the moment the i5 4460 is actually $3 cheaper, I also didn't want to get an extremely low end board and wanted usb 3.0 so the msi mobo was good for the price.

I'm stuck, both the 960 and 380 have their pros and cons. Tough choice

H81 has USB3.

The 960 is faster than a 380. The 380 is a direct rebrand of the 280 which is a rebrand of the 7950. As indicated here, the 960 is faster than a 7950.
MSI GTX 960 Gaming OC 2 GB Review | techPowerUp

It consumes less power, and the 4GB ACX SC version maxed at 71c with fan on practically idle while running OC Scanner for 10 minutes.
Hey sorry I don't know how to ask you a question without going through this. I'm looking to play around with over clocking this older laptop I have. I don't want to do much and I'm pretty sure the power supply isn't too big, but how's the best way to go about doing this. Also do you have recommendations for sites to use for thermal Temps and benchmarking?? Clock speeds and all that. I don't know reliable sites...??

sent from Spartaknight

Hey sorry I don't know how to ask you a question without going through this. I'm looking to play around with over clocking this older laptop I have. I don't want to do much and I'm pretty sure the power supply isn't too big, but how's the best way to go about doing this. Also do you have recommendations for sites to use for thermal Temps and benchmarking?? Clock speeds and all that. I don't know reliable sites...??

sent from Spartaknight
I don't recommend overclocking anything on old laptops.

sent from Spartaknight

I recommend starting your own thread next time instead of posting an unrelated question in somebody else's thread.

Back
Top Bottom