AMD Processor vs Intel Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AMD Processor vs. Pentium Processor

Snake-Eyes said:
Hi I just joined and I have a few questions. Are AMD processors any better than a Pentium? Is the switch from Pentium to AMD smooth? I was looking at getting a new computer and I was introduced to an AMD processor so I was a little intrugued. Please nothing too in-depth, I'm just starting out in the PC world. At the moment, i'm looking at a 3200+ AMD processor (got a quote and the guy didn't write down the full name of hardly any thing).

the full computer setup is this (the quote was written down as this):

NVidia 6800 GT 256MB video card
2048MB PC3200 DDR RAM
S939 3200+
S939 K8NS Ultra MB
240GB RAIDED SATA
16x Dual Layer DVD+RW
Windows XP
ATX case
500W power supply
17" LCD monitor

Is this good to run the newest games like Doom 3, Half-life 2, etc? Also, do you think i should get a better processor?

nice comp man!!!!;)

indeed, that is one nice computer... wish i had enough bling to get something like that. guess i gotta stick with what i have! =]

P.P. Mguire said:
amd i best for gaming and thats hands down. look at any gaming forum(besides this one) and you will see that they all run amd(well most of them).

i hardly call that hard facts AMD is better. most gamers run AMD because they can't afford Intel rig's and want the best performing rig they can have that fits there budgets.

You will see ALOT of XP line gaming machines (considered old/outdated now), and now you will see more A64 machines coming up. A decent P4 overclocked rig will out do certain A64's in the hands of a non-overclocker/beginner, i still see that (especially with the 754sockets). It's only when overclocked or tweaked that an A64 will really shine against the higher rates P4's. Modestly overclocked and tweaked the A64 will perform much better...but that takes time/money/alot of knowledge/and a pretty big risk (i dunno about you but gettin a $3K rig one day and frying it the next would PISS me off...)

the A64 style of overclocking is alot different than the older XP line and it can be "tricky". they also seem to be very picky about what memory they will overclock with best.

My friends AMD FX-55 will smoke any P4 rig out there. Espeacially w/ the money hes put into it. And i think hes just gonna keep updating it as technology gets better(ie FX-57 and so on).

P.P. Mguire said:
My friends AMD FX-55 will smoke any P4 rig out there. Espeacially w/ the money hes put into it. And i think hes just gonna keep updating it as technology gets better(ie FX-57 and so on).

lol notice how i said socket 754 A64's, and ones that were not overclocked. A top of the line FX-55 and overclocked will definetly be at the top. even not overclocked i think it is up there. but like you said so is the price (well you kinda said it...) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom