Computer maintenance...

nheppeard

Baseband Member
My question to you guys seeing as Ive never owned a computer that was really anything descent, what kinda maintenance should I be doing to my origin eon17x?? I mean I'd like some details on upkeep for it. Do I have to do anything to my ssd's? Anything with my gpu, cpu, or just internals? Inside the bottom or even actually software wise? What should I be staying up on to make sure I get the best life out of my laptop? Thanks for any help...

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Hardware wise... make sure you clean the fans out regularly (once a month or every couple of months) - they can easily get clogged in a gaming laptop. So take the bottom panel off and use some canned air to blow the vents/fans clean.

If you notice temps start to rise and you've already cleaned the fans/vents, then look into repasting the CPU/GPU.

As for your SSD, check this guide: http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/
You can skip a few of the steps like disabling Prefetch/Superfetch. But make sure you disable defrag/indexing/page file.

Keep it clean and try not to eat/drink over the keyboard and such. Not all that much you really need to do to it besides keep it cool and clean (keeping it cool is the most important for expanding the life).

For software... Don't install a bunch of random crap to keep your install clean. I'd recommend installing only absolutely bare minimum software and then create a base recovery image using something like CloneZilla.

Hardware wise... make sure you clean the fans out regularly (once a month or every couple of months) - they can easily get clogged in a gaming laptop. So take the bottom panel off and use some canned air to blow the vents/fans clean.

If you notice temps start to rise and you've already cleaned the fans/vents, then look into repasting the CPU/GPU.

As for your SSD, check this guide: http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/
You can skip a few of the steps like disabling Prefetch/Superfetch. But make sure you disable defrag/indexing/page file.

Keep it clean and try not to eat/drink over the keyboard and such. Not all that much you really need to do to it besides keep it cool and clean (keeping it cool is the most important for expanding the life).

For software... Don't install a bunch of random crap to keep your install clean. I'd recommend installing only absolutely bare minimum software and then create a base recovery image using something like CloneZilla.
Awesome thanks for the advice :)

Better to completely strip down these things to clean the dust out. The dust will primarily be trapped on the fan side of the heatsink (because it's pushing air through it). If you blow air in then you can get dust in the bearings of the fan. That's why I only tend to clean mine out every 6 months (while it's under warranty), then strip it down after that to do it.

It's a pretty small risk of getting dust in the bearing though to be totally honest, only ever had the problem once and that was on an old laptop.

Better to completely strip down these things to clean the dust out. The dust will primarily be trapped on the fan side of the heatsink (because it's pushing air through it). If you blow air in then you can get dust in the bearings of the fan. That's why I only tend to clean mine out every 6 months (while it's under warranty), then strip it down after that to do it.

It's a pretty small risk of getting dust in the bearing though to be totally honest, only ever had the problem once and that was on an old laptop.

I'd say it depends on the laptop if you need to strip it down. Since it's a gaming laptop, hopefully it's similar to my MSI in the fact that you only need to remove 1 bottom panel and the fan is easily accessible right there.

I'd say it depends on the laptop if you need to strip it down. Since it's a gaming laptop, hopefully it's similar to my MSI in the fact that you only need to remove 1 bottom panel and the fan is easily accessible right there.
Thanks for the help, I will see how ideas it is hopefully it's not bad.

Back
Top Bottom