RAM Upgrade

marknzl

Solid State Member
Hi,

Currently I am running a AMD A8-6600K APU with 8GB of single-channel DDR3. It performs quite well, but I heard that running the RAM in dual-channel increases performance. Is this true and worth upgrading?

Not worth upgrading at all, Yes it will speed up slightly but only time you would notice it is if you were benchmarking your system, In common uses it will almost never even be noticed and isn't worth the price just to get duel channel

Not worth upgrading at all, Yes it will speed up slightly but only time you would notice it is if you were benchmarking your system, In common uses it will almost never even be noticed and isn't worth the price just to get duel channel

Doesn't dual channel actually noticeably help quite a bit in APU systems? I remember c0rr0sive making posts about it in a thread.

This is more MHO but with DDR2 it did but with the speed of DDR3 the difference isn't that much.

It's more speed and raw bandwidth combined, and it only helps the iGPU. Going from say 1600 to 2400 in dual channel decreases the memory bottleneck on the iGPU. If the OP is using a dedicated GPU then it's pointless.

It's more speed and raw bandwidth combined, and it only helps the iGPU. Going from say 1600 to 2400 in dual channel decreases the memory bottleneck on the iGPU. If the OP is using a dedicated GPU then it's pointless.

Noted.

We'd need to know the rest of OP's specs.

May not be worth it to us, but it could be worth it to someone with a low-end rig that can't use a good dedicated GPU and has to depend upon his iGPU. 5FPS can be all one needs for things to smooth out on the ultra low end like that.

May not be worth it to us, but it could be worth it to someone with a low-end rig that can't use a good dedicated GPU and has to depend upon his iGPU. 5FPS can be all one needs for things to smooth out on the ultra low end like that.
But like I said, it's almost pointless to spend the extra cash on high end RAM to get the speeds. Might as well deal with it and save at that point.

Back
Top Bottom