network card not working?

Jake

In Runtime
I have wireless- there's a yellow exclamation mark by my bars, but it says I'm connected, but there's no connection. I had my ISP technician come in, and he could connect to my SSID with my password no problem, so he determined it was the card...

The thing is, the card looks fine in device manager, and it's only about 2 years old. It's a mid range PCI-E Asus n15 (Networking | PCE-N15 | ASUS Canada) internal card with the two antennas. I thought it would last longer.

I would say update the drivers...but the "latest" drivers for it look like they're from 2012...yikes.

Looked into it further, and see that it uses a Realtek RTL8188CE chipset.
Go here: Realtek

Scroll down to the "RTL8188CE" section, and download the driver for your OS (Win7 or Win8) and update it.

Edit: you can verify that it's using that chipset by looking at the physical chip and seeing what model # it has marked on it.

Turns out it wasn't the card. I put the card in another computer and it connected fine. I can only conclude that it's something to do with the motherboard. MB is a Gigabyte H77, also 2 years old, mid-range quality.

It still can be the card, your other computer would of installed the drivers so you cant rule it out like that until you try altering the drivers on your computer first.

So its best to put it back in your computer and first I'd roll-back the driver (in case it has installed a new drivers that has corrupted) then if that doesn't work do a uninstall/ update on the driver or look on the website for the driver and manually download / install.

Turns out it wasn't the card. I put the card in another computer and it connected fine. I can only conclude that it's something to do with the motherboard. MB is a Gigabyte H77, also 2 years old, mid-range quality.

Did you try updating the driver like I suggested above? I'd still suggest trying that before saying it's the motherboard.

Another way you can verify if it's the card or not, is try putting it in another PCI slot to see if that works.

You could also try booting off of a Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu or Mint and see if the wireless card works there.

Yeah, I'm certain I have the right driver. The only other PCI slot on that computer was for the graphics card- I tried it but without the graphics card the computer wouldn't boot. I have no experience with Linux.

It's odd because everything looks fine in Device Manager- it must have been a short or something that only affected the one PCI slot. Unfortunately I have nothing else to test that slot with.

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Download the ISO, burn it to a disc with something like IMGBurn (using the Image->Disk option), or create a bootable flash drive with something like UNetBootin.

Boot off of it, and go into the Live Environment and see if you can connect to the internet.

Yeah, I'm certain I have the right driver. The only other PCI slot on that computer was for the graphics card- I tried it but without the graphics card the computer wouldn't boot. I have no experience with Linux.

It's odd because everything looks fine in Device Manager- it must have been a short or something that only affected the one PCI slot. Unfortunately I have nothing else to test that slot with.

What we are trying to tell you is, yes the driver can be shown as working but it might be out-dated or corrupted and you simply have to hit update/ rollback in device manager on the NIC to check for a new one/ check if the present one was bad... Device manager will not say its out-dated or corrupt in every situation.

If you haven't tried that simple step there is no point going all out and creating a live CD etc yet...

I hope you understand what were saying now? :cool:

What mobo do you have?

Just to update, a third party program called Windows Repair fixed the problem. I'm not sure just what it did that fixed it. I was able to get the internet with just the cable, no nic.

Back
Top Bottom