Power Supply Amps

Three problems with this. There is a lot better things you can buy with your money than a PSU.

Firstly, your current board doesn't support Crossfire (not SLI) for another 290 and buying another board for that CPU is a bit daft unless you're getting it for super cheap. Like $20.

Second, before you do anything I'd suggest getting more RAM. 4GB simply isn't enough if you're serious about gaming. 6GB sure, but not 4. You're also not really going to get 10 years out of your current setup so a new overkill PSU isn't going to do much for you. 5 years maybe with the CPU if you start to overclock but otherwise newer GPUs will get bottlenecked soon.

Third, the Windows performance index not a goal you want to set your sights on. It's absolutely terrible and pretty dumb.

Actually my CPU is very good. at least as for right now. It's not a top top top of the line cpu, but it is a higher up in ranks cpu. And I'm not buying a new cpu at this point in time. I'm just buying a new mobo right now as my current 1 seems to be failing. I will in like 5-10 years be buying a new mobo and cpu without a doubt. As for ram... idk I run 4 right now and have no issues, but yeah I do want to upgrade it to like 8 eventually. My power supply supplies incorrect voltages... which may be the cause of my motherboard failure. I need to replace the power supply so that it doesn't damage my new board or any of the other parts in my computer. Apevia makes horrible psu's.

As for my motherboard... it does allow SLI
"Quad-GPU SLI & Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!"
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P7P55DE_PRO/

Oh I see but the card isn't SLI... it's CrossFireX... either way I can still combine 2 as they both support CrossFireX... so same difference LOL

Now that we are done going off track here... back to the psu question at hand... 1,300 watt psu work?... or am I going to have amp issues?

Last edited:
1. Don't set your sights on getting a full Windows Experience Index, it's that bad that Microsoft removed the UI for it in Windows 8.
2. Lynnfield CPUs are outdated (but not yet entirely obsolete if it's high end)
3. Instead of running two power hungry Radeon cards, stick in a single 980Ti or something instead, more predictable performance.
4. 4GB of RAM is not really good enough for gaming now, you need at least 8GB
5. That SSD is superb and you'd be daft to replace it simply to get a higher Windows Experience score.

Actually my CPU is very good. at least as for right now. It's not a top top top of the line cpu, but it is a higher up in ranks cpu. And I'm not buying a new cpu at this point in time. I'm just buying a new mobo right now as my current 1 seems to be failing. I will in like 5-10 years be buying a new mobo and cpu without a doubt. As for ram... idk I run 4 right now and have no issues, but yeah I do want to upgrade it to like 8 eventually. My power supply supplies incorrect voltages... which may be the cause of my motherboard failure. I need to replace the power supply so that it doesn't damage my new board or any of the other parts in my computer. Apevia makes horrible psu's.

As for my motherboard... it does allow SLI
"Quad-GPU SLI & Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!"
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P7P55DE_PRO/

Oh I see but the card isn't SLI... it's CrossFireX... either way I can still combine 2 as they both support CrossFireX... so same difference LOL

Now that we are done going off track here... back to the psu question at hand... 1,300 watt psu work?... or am I going to have amp issues?
I ran an i5 750 at 4GHz for the longest time, and was just toying around with an i7 960 including dropping to a Phenom 2 940BE just to see how those CPUs held up with modern games and a top of the line GPU. I guarantee you that you'll start seeing a big performance hit within 3 years running something like an i7 870 without some good OC.

Yes, your PSU is total **** but you're missing the point. You don't need to spend 200 bucks on a PSU you won't get anywhere close to using. Actually, if you went with Nvidia you could SLI a couple 970s on as low as 650w worth of quality PSU. You could spend 80 bucks and be completely fine for the next 5+ years.

You said your current motherboard was the LX, and that doesn't even have 2 PCI-E 2.0 slots. It doesn't support Crossfire or SLI.

I already answered your question before. You won't get close to 1300w draw on your electrical, so no you won't have any amp issues.

90% of the outlets used in homes are 1500w max, and most rooms are wired for a 10 amp circuit.

Depends purely on city/state codes and federal codes... Many homes here are being wired with 20 amp and sometimes 30 amp breakers, or multiple circuits around here these days, though all outlets are still 15 amp, it's incredibly uncommon for a typical person to go over the load of a single junction box unless they are running power strips into power strips.

Everything else though, yeah, I think it's ignorant to assume you will need a 1Kw+ PSU for anything unless you are taking the absolute highest end graphics cards and putting them into 4x SLI or Crossfire. Another thing that comes into play is efficiency. 1Kw unit at 80% efficiency wouldn't pull much over 1200w (roughly 10 amps) at peak load from the wall, and that's if you some how magically max the PSU out. I can almost promise you with a 2x SLI setup, no matter what your doing, you will never, ever pull 1Kw unless engineers run into issues in the future with graphics cards and the wattages keep getting pushed higher than what is normal. Similar to what we started to fear back in the 6xxx days for Nvidia when manufacturers started toying with the idea of adding external 12v power bricks for the GPU because PSU manufactures couldn't really put anything out cheap that offered high current.

You will, at this point, get more for your buck by getting a normal sized PSU, and getting more RAM than you currently have... 4GB is just too little in this day and age, going for the overkill PSU before getting the other parts upto par is.. ehh...

Last edited:
Just gonna join in and say getting a 1000W+ PSU is a silly idea with your use case and budget. There's futureproofing, and then there's pissing money away.

Depends purely on city/state codes and federal codes... Many homes here are being wired with 20 amp and sometimes 30 amp breakers, or multiple circuits around here these days, though all outlets are still 15 amp, it's incredibly uncommon for a typical person to go over the load of a single junction box unless they are running power strips into power strips.

Everything else though, yeah, I think it's ignorant to assume you will need a 1Kw+ PSU for anything unless you are taking the absolute highest end graphics cards and putting them into 4x SLI or Crossfire. Another thing that comes into play is efficiency. 1Kw unit at 80% efficiency wouldn't pull much over 1200w (roughly 10 amps) at peak load from the wall, and that's if you some how magically max the PSU out. I can almost promise you with a 2x SLI setup, no matter what your doing, you will never, ever pull 1Kw unless engineers run into issues in the future with graphics cards and the wattages keep getting pushed higher than what is normal. Similar to what we started to fear back in the 6xxx days for Nvidia when manufacturers started toying with the idea of adding external 12v power bricks for the GPU because PSU manufactures couldn't really put anything out cheap that offered high current.

You will, at this point, get more for your buck by getting a normal sized PSU, and getting more RAM than you currently have... 4GB is just too little in this day and age, going for the overkill PSU before getting the other parts upto par is.. ehh...
I was mainly pointing out that most outlets are 1500w max, but you can also have multiple rooms on one circuit. It just all depends on how the house is wired.

When I had 3 titans in my machine I was pulling roughly 1350 from the wall. We pulled more from my buddies 1200axi with 4 titans but either the voltage dropped or we tried pulling too much through his box as it went into protect. In the end had to run 2 different psu from 2 different outlets to make it all work.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt Titans pulling that much, but, there's also a difference between dropping $1000 on each GPU and dropping $1000 on four total. But we are also talking to entirely different types of beasts IMO. Massive difference from the absolute top of the line, and then high end enough to satisfy the 99%.

Oh, I wouldn't doubt Titans pulling that much, but, there's also a difference between dropping $1000 on each GPU and dropping $1000 on four total. But we are also talking to entirely different types of beasts IMO. Massive difference from the absolute top of the line, and then high end enough to satisfy the 99%.
Well these are 275w TDP cards and the 290s are like what, 300? I mean two overclocked 290s could take over 600w a piece easily but nothing to warrant a 1300w PSU. A good 850 would do it easy.

Tbh I don't know where I was going with that. When I typed that earlier I was pissed at my boss and trying to calm down by posting tech stuff. Something about 4 Titans calms my nerves.

Back
Top Bottom