M.2 Sata help.

nheppeard

Baseband Member
Hi I just purchased the new version of the origin eon17x. I put two ssd's in it (Samsung Evo) but I didn't put the two available options for m.2 Sata drives. Since I have received the laptop yet I'm wondering if that's easy to put in or is m.2 Sata different?? Would appreciate any help thanks.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

M.2 is a different form factor and comes in PCI-E and SATA flavors. If you already have two Samsung EVOs I don't really see the point in loading it with M.2 as well.

They made it seem like the m.2 hard drives would load games faster. Honestly I don't know. I have a 500 gig and a 1 tb ssd also.

Who is they?

PCI-E M.2 drives are definitely faster but odds have it you won't notice a difference at all. Not until everybody goes NVMe standard.

Well I don't need one right away but I'll prob put the Samsung 850 pro m.2 Sata 3 in it soon lol

Then I probably won't bother.... Thanks for the advice

Just to give you a little edumucation on it in case Googling might be confusing.

There are 2 types of SSD on the M.2 setup right now (not getting into the notches or lengths). You have SATA and PCI-E.

SATA M.2 is simply the same thing you'd find in your typical 2.5" SSD. Uses the same basic hardware and gives the exact same performance. It also utilizes a SATA slot on your board making one SATA port unuseable.

PCI-E on the other hand uses a different controller and enhances the speed. For instance, my M.2 SSD is PCI-E and my reads are over 1GB/s and writes somewhere around 700MB/s. It also does not use up a SATA port as the data transfer is direct to PCI-E.
With PCI-E you also have the difference between Gen 2 and 3, and 2x vs 4x speeds. Obviously like with other PCI-E cards the faster it is, more bandwidth can be had, and gives way for faster SSD speeds.

Now the big game changer is NVMe vs AHCI. AHCI is a very old standard made for platter drives and hampers the performance capabilities of flash based storage. Enter NVMe which was designed exclusively for PCI-E flash storage (basically) and really opens up the speed capabilities.

In all reality though, it's IOPS that make a huge difference in perceivable performance differences. How fast your 4k write and read speeds are on an SSD will make a noticeable improvement on Windows performance. Raw sequential speeds are pretty much only good for fast data transfers once you get to a certain speed.

Yes that's what I needed to hear. Thank-you. I was looking this somewhat up and I saw some of the things you just said online, but that cleared it together a lot better.

Hey you seem to really know your stuff... If like to learn some information on graphics cards in general. Like I said I have the 980m with 8 gigs of gpu ram. I haven't gotten the computer yet (waiting on shipping) but I feel like I'll be good for a good while. My concern is I was reading a thread and they were talking about gm204 and Cuda cores. I can follow but I truly don't know what those actually are. In turns of performance and what's old style to new standards. Would love to hear all about what you know on this topic.

Back
Top Bottom