for the love of god help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighTower1187

Solid State Member
Im about ready to throw my computer out the window...if you could help me please do so, ill be very greatful,thanks

Ok heres the deal...a few weeks ago i purchased a load of PC parts from newegg.com to build a new PC for myself.They are as follows~

Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo
1024mb Corsair VS PC3400 DDR400
160gig HD 7200rpm
ATI Radeon 9800PRO 256mb/256bit
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
420watt PSU

So i got the parts and built the comp...put my copy of XP home addition(upgrade) in, and used a burned copy of XP pro(full) to get by the "previous version of windows installed" problem. So everything installs fine, and the comps fast and great...then my Harddrive breaks, so i send it back and get a new one...

I put the new HD in the comp, all connections are good, the actual mechanics are set up correctly...and i power it up...flash the BIOS...and wait for the "insert boot disk etc etc"...except it takes FOREVER...so finally i get to it, and i put the disk in, partition the drive, and the files are copied, and then as the normal procedure goes, you have to restart the computer before the next part of the install happens.....except i never get that far...the comp restarts and that beginning part of the install happens AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN...its like i never went through the first part....

Help would be lovely, Thanks again

If it is a western digital hard drive installed on it's own IDE channel remove the jumper from the back of the drive.

Josh

Hmm, I own a samsung, never had any problems with it. Anyways, maybe you should try to first format your partition. I mean do a complete clean format, and then try to install xp.

how do i do a complete clean format....my friend said something about using an fdisk....i have no clue what that means...

If you have and old DOS boot disk lying around, put it in, and it should contain a program called FDISK on it. Run that to partition your hard drive... it's quite self-explainatory.

When it asks you if they're a floppy in the drive and telling you it's gonna reboot in 15 seconds open your cd-rom or whatever and remove the xp disk. Then when it tells you to put it back in, do so.

fdisk utility is used to make partitions via DOS mode.

this is optional as if you need partitions,
and its always better to prepare hard drive from Command prompt rather than windowsXP direct injection into the hard drive. old remaind gold.

anyway, see if you can get the boot disk from anywhere which will bring you to the command prompt.

format the hard drive from there. and then install windows XP (and leave the formatiing option there as when it asks).

also, who suggested you to flash the BIOS prior to test motherboard functionality. as BIOS upgrade is only required as if you are experiencing problems with current version on BIOS. and sometimes it happens that flashing the BIOS with latest version brings problems as well. so a backup of older BIOS is created so that you can restore the BIOS as if newer one is creating problems.

I never flashed my BIOS for no reason. are you using Winchester Core Athlon? as in that case you would have needed one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom