Recommend top spec router and AP

All consumer grade routers suck for power users. Most don't come with enough power to properly handle the load from everything they are geared for and enterprise APs will always have better range and client handling because of this. I've seen some Asus routers go for like 300 bucks. Why would I spend that much on a consumer router when I can buy a Ubiquity for the same price? I see it happen all the time. If your networking needs require something in that nature then it's time to make a real network.

All consumer grade routers suck for power users. Most don't come with enough power to properly handle the load from everything they are geared for and enterprise APs will always have better range and client handling because of this. I've seen some Asus routers go for like 300 bucks. Why would I spend that much on a consumer router when I can buy a Ubiquity for the same price? I see it happen all the time. If your networking needs require something in that nature then it's time to make a real network.

Consumers (not power-users) need a user friendly GUI, typically. Again, it all comes down to what's best for each situation. As for the power, I currently have a Netgear WNDR3400 on my network. It's been there for three years and handles multiple video streams perfectly, usually while there's two XBox 360's gaming as well.

The only time I've had to reset it is once after a power flicker. My only limits? ISP provided bandwidth. I'm really eager to see the Archer C7 since it's benchmark was better and it's price is lower.

Also, I did a bit of research into Ubiquity, and I don't see anything that looks all that inexpensive. Do you have a particular setup in mind?

The piece I run is the piece I linked the OP. They aren't inexpensive because they aren't toys, but like I said 300 bucks for a router or 300 bucks for an AP that isn't junk and can handle all clients at top bandwidth (not shared) is a different story.

Your typical consumers who aren't power users won't want to spend more than 30 bucks for a device that lets them get on the internet anyways. So those consumers wanting "gaming grade" routers are going to be "power users" in their own sense. Even the top end routers really don't pack enough power to do everything and do it well. There isn't enough R&D to properly implement each feature perfect and if you're lucky everything might work right by the 4th firmware update. I'll also say, 90% of your average consumer won't even see the GUI on their router....ever. They will use the CD that came with it to set it up through software in their OS.

I still don't see why people buy consumer grade routers... I have zero faith in them.

I think because, like me.. I see it for enterprise use and overkill for a home... but i guess looking at it now if its not to much more then why not... :cool:

I have my trusty Virgin Superhub2 atm and it runs smooth.. :cool:

Considering some consumer grade routers are reaching $300 and $400 for high end ones these days... Almost better to go with an enterprise grade AP and a home made router.

Back
Top Bottom