p6633w cpu upgrade to AMD Phenom II x4 Incompatible?

JWaynick

Beta member
After many attempts at buying a new computer, I figured I would take the cheaper route. Being a teenager with moderate knowledge in computer tech I figured I could take the challenge on by myself.
I purchased myself an, AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ, after looking at many cpus. I am currently running an AMD Athalon II X2 255 processor at 3.1GHz on a p6633w mobo. After installing the phenemon and booting up my computer I am immediately prompted with "CPU incompatible, system will shut down in a few seconds" or something very close to that. After many retrys, uninstalls of the processor and re-installations it is still to no avail.
Whats going on? I'm almost positive that theyre normally compatible. Why can I use the Athalon II but not the Phenemon II?

Any response or suggestion would help immensely. Thank you
Josh.

That motherboard will not support the 965BE... HP lists that the motherboard IS compatible with 9XX quad core processors, but the MAXIMUM TDP allowed is 95w.

From what little I can find, the highest end CPU that board *MIGHT* support is an AMD Phenom II X4 960 Deneb (is NOT compatible with the Zosma core), or if you are VERY lucky, an X6 1065T... Both of those CPU's are at the maximum TDP for that board and the highest end of the bunch for that TDP.

x4 960 = 95w
x4 965BE = 140w or 125w depending on stepping
x6 1065T = 95w

Any time you buy an AMD cpu like those, you need to ensure your board can handle the TDP, like the 955... That 955 has FIVE different revisions, ranging in wattages of 95/120, most common being 120...

I would say the BIOS and board certainly recognizes it, but HP has locked it to prevent damage to the board trying to push the current needed, as it will blow out the mosfets. To top it off, thaat board has no cooling at all on the mosfets... The 965BE would cook it, boards have enough issues trying to supply power when the mosfets ARE cooled by a passive heatsink... My 965BE has cooked 3 boards in it's life-time, all mosfet failures.

EDIT: Also, yes, I am aware that TDP isn't the power flowing through the mosfets, and that it is the heat generated by the CPU alone, but that extra heat does cook things up nicely on boards designed for lower TDP CPU's.

OP: I suggest putting the 965 up for sale if possible, it's obviously a good chip and can still be sold off, should be able to recover your costs easily. Then look into getting a CPU with lower TDP.

Last edited:
I agree with c0rr0sive, it looks like you sadly can't use that CPU with the board. If you're on the latest BIOS version and it still won't support it, then you're stuffed to be honest.

That's sound advice above really, sell the chip and get one based on a lower TDP.

Back
Top Bottom