Time to upgrade?

As far as I'm aware, the Nvidia chips are better at raw processing than AMD chips, so if you're not looking to upgrade the CPU, an Nvidia chip would be the best option. In my opinion the best value chip is the GTX960, but the GTX970 will blow it out the water in terms of raw performance, so that'd probably be my choice... you'll also have the ability to touch on 4K gaming (not at ultra though) with the 970 as it's more capable!

If I'm honest, the memory configuration of the GTX970 isn't too much of a problem. the performance decrease when using the last 500MB of memory isn't as large as some make out, and even if a game says it's "using" 4GB, in most cases the memory is only reserved and not being used anyway, only in occasional scenarios.

And yes, your power supply is more than capable, the GTX970 needs 28A on the 12V rail (probably 30A to give you some headroom), and your PSU supplies 46A which is plenty!

Thought I'd get a better reply, "Because" really doesn't cut it
Nvidia faces false advertising lawsuit over GTX 970 specs - PC Gamer

A GTX 970 is a great deal better than a 960 in performance.

The lawsuit is particularly stupid, and the whole 3.5GB bull**** on the internet is as stupid as everything else going on like the rebel flag, Bruce Jenner, and all that retarded nonsense. The card HAS 4GB of VRAM and in the 8 months of my roomie having one he hasn't had a single issue playing all his games at 1080p. It's not exactly false advertising when the card has exactly as the box states. People just don't understand how GPUs work or how the cut down process works. Much like it's been 5 years and people still don't understand how an AMD module works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom