Can someone tell me what I need for....

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
What do I need to make a UPS Battery backup System as in a DIY Job.I know I need Car Battery, but what else. As in what is an inverter. What are the parts I need and if anyone can help and if anyone can can you use British terminology.

I wouldn't go with a car battery when lithium can be had so cheaply even if it is from china, A tenth the size with the same power for a similar price. As for the rest of your question I don't really know so I'll be watching this thread to learn my self.

Dauntae

Lithium would be a bad choice since the charge circuit has to be pretty much perfect...

Car battery is a bad choice since they can't handle being discharged very low, and while being charged can emit explosive gasses.

Your best bet is a Battery Tender that will keep a float charge on the battery, a pair of Deep Cycle batteries (they tolerate being almost fully discharged) with high cranking amperage, and a DC to AC converter, get one that's about twice the wattage you expect you will use. Keep all this in an area with plenty of ventilation, and there you go, not a full on UPS, more or less just a battery backup in the event power is out for hours and you need some light or PC time after the power already went out.

Heck, I would just get a used UPS that has a high rating and used 12v batteries, and throw a deep cycle battery on it out in the garage, and run a power lead to my desk from the garage.

The reason for skipping a UPS battery is cost vs power. They are costly batteries, and tend to not have a very high output. Heck, the sealed lead acid battery for my garage door opener (which is also used in a few UPS) runs about $130.

Lithium would be a bad choice since the charge circuit has to be pretty much perfect...

The "charge circuit" (rectifier/regulator) on my motorbike is far from perfect (motorbike ones regularly have issues), and I've been running a Lithium cell for a while without problems. I think the modern Lithium cells are a little better than they used to be (though I must admit, they don't take quite the level of abuse that previous types of battery do, they don't seem to like being fully discharged like NiMH batteries)

The "charge circuit" (rectifier/regulator) on my motorbike is far from perfect (motorbike ones regularly have issues), and I've been running a Lithium cell for a while without problems. I think the modern Lithium cells are a little better than they used to be (though I must admit, they don't take quite the level of abuse that previous types of battery do, they don't seem to like being fully discharged like NiMH batteries)

Never ever ever fully discharge a Lithium battery. It kills the cells and can damage the charge circuits. It's recommended to charge it up frequently, and the minimum you should let them get down to is 10-30% I believe.

Yes, let's keep dumping power into a battery that is 100% charged and hate's being at 100%. Lithium battery packs are finicky, and like to sit at a certain level of charge.

Yes, let's keep dumping power into a battery that is 100% charged and hate's being at 100%. Lithium battery packs are finicky, and like to sit at a certain level of charge.

The charging circuits are supposed to regulate that (good ones do, at least). It stops charging and lets it discharge after it's been plugged in for some time, and then will automatically trickle charge back to full when needed.

Back
Top Bottom