Help with a Dinosaur Gateway GT5676

This guy isn't a gamer. All he needs is something like a cheap Seasonic 380w or CX430 and a GT730 in his machine.

I just ordered the GeForce GTX730 2GB $72 shipped and the cx430 $23 after rebate including shipping

Thank you for your time and help I am also going to try window 7 drive as you suggested. then I will have to decide what drives to add. what would you suggest I have the 320gb with vista on it another 2 320gb and a 2 tb that are just storage. I dont want to work the machine any harder than need be or make it slower.

Somewhere I read this machine could support up to 2tb? Maybe I was sleep surfing when I saw it. But I currently have a 2tb drive and two 320gb ones hooked up.

Newer boards can take as many TB as available. It's usually just the OS and partition in question that won't support something higher.

I'd save your Vista drive just in case you want to revert back.

Just something to be aware of, if you have a single disk that's larger than 2TB, you'll have to format it as a GPT partition style, rather than MBR, otherwise you'll have to split it into separate partitions.

This guy isn't a gamer. All he needs is something like a cheap Seasonic 380w or CX430 and a GT730 in his machine.

This. A GT730 would be a clean upgrade over his GT610, and not cost the earth. Plus the lower capacity PSUs are cheaper, and are fine for the more multimedia aimed graphics cards.

No need for him to buy a GTX980 if he's not a gamer or if doesn't do a lot of rendering, he won't see a benefit.

Well I merged the machines and added the the new corsair cx430 and GT730. I used the Windows 7 Ultimate from the newer machine. This gave me 8gb ram. Everything was working fine I could stream video to the (new present) 80" sharp thru the hdmi cable or wireless. I had one video that the sound skipped on but all others worked fine. No speakers connected to PC except thru the tv.

Then yesterday it went to sleep and refused wake up or at least show me anything on my screens. I basically Had to disconnect everything and reconnect. This got me running. But then every song or video acted up with the audio skipping. I tried them thru different players with no difference. I tried some reading on the subject and saw no easy fix. I shut it down and removed the GeForce GT730. I connected to the onboard graphics with vga going to my 32" and HDMI going to my 80" and everything seems to be working ok.

NOW can anyone tell me why the GT730 being installed would cause this?

Did you install the nVidia drivers from the website (don't use the drivers on the disc)?

Carnagex I think I let it just load generically to start. Then I put the disc in and installed the drivers from it and I am not sure but it seems like it updated them.

Back
Top Bottom