Optical Drive Upgrade

marknzl

Solid State Member
Hi,

I want to install an optical drive inside of my case but the in the front of the case the external drive cover looks a bit small and for some reason there is already a fake CD-ROM button. My case is a Gigabyte GZ-M5.

Looks like you have to take off the front panel, slide the optical drive in and screw it in, then put the front panel back in place. The button on the case will push the button on the optical drive (when fitted), chances are, the panel at the front flips forwards, allowing the optical drive to open, then flips closed when the optical drive is closed.

Hi,

There is a bay for an optical drive but the front of the case where the placeholder cover is, it looks smaller compared to other placeholder covers.
kdtqc2.jpg

As cb600fshornet already told you, you need to remove the front cover to install an optical drive. I can't find anything to tell you how to remove the front cover, but most of the time you have to remove each side to get access to the tabs on the inside front of the chassis that hold the front cover on, Some case fronts just pop off and pop on when you gently pull on them from the bottom

As cb600fshornet already told you, you need to remove the front cover to install an optical drive. I can't find anything to tell you how to remove the front cover, but most of the time you have to remove each side to get access to the tabs on the inside front of the chassis that hold the front cover on, Some case fronts just pop off and pop on when you gently pull on them from the bottom

This.

The cover looks "smaller" because it's a bezel that partially covers the optical drive edges. Like Joe said, you need to remove that front plastic cover so you can slide the optical drive in/out.

It will look a little bit like this when you take the front cover off (not exactly the same as I couldn't find any images of your exact case with the front panel removed):
GMC_H80_FRONT_OFF.jpg

Back
Top Bottom