Time for CPU upgrade - Going back to AMD

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
So my last CPU upgrade was in 2007, oddly enough it seems to be a little bit outdated now. It's done very well with a lot of newer games, but I've had enough of lowering graphics on the real demanding games. The CPU has been a major bottleneck for me since BF3 came out, so time for the Q6600 to retire.

I haven't really kept up with what's going on in a long time, so I just hopped on Newegg and went by user reviews, benchmarks, and prices. Here's what I ordered:

AMD Processor FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W D8350FRHKBOX - Newegg.com

GIGABYTE Motherboard GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX - Newegg.com

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GXM - Newegg.com

While the Intel options did score better in benchmarks, I couldn't see spending 2-3x the amount of the AMD options, for performance increases that I highly doubt matter for my gaming needs. Ended up being $370 after rebate and came with a free game (I probably won't play). I figured any upgrade would be a vast improvement to my current rig, and this upgrade in particular looks like it should outperform my ancient quadcore by 4-5x.

This only leaves my GPU, which isn't terrible, but I will more than likely upgrade sometime this year.

Normally I would come here first for some opinions, but since I jumped the gun, how did I do?

It matters quite a bit in games, as single threaded performance is the leading factor of the CPU in gaming. Something like the i5 4440 which is the same price as the 8350 will run circles around it while consuming less power and has no need to overclock to keep up. Intel platforms also have more in the way of features, like USB3 ports, or the more noticeable PCI-E 3 which is becoming more of a bigger deal now that things like storage are going PCI-E.

You did good, however you should have skipped the 8 core.
Compare that againt AMD six core 6350 and nothing will change.
None the less it'll do alot for you.
Don't worry about Intel consumers saying and isn't worth it.
Spent less getting much value from the computer should be your main focus.

Last edited:
If you can't afford to fit an i3/i5 to your machine, go for an AMD quad core in my opinion, if you have the money available for at least an i3, go for Nvidia.

Saying that, an 8350 isn't a bad chip, should serve you well!

Back
Top Bottom