Unwanted word diaplayed on BIOS Setup Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris H

Solid State Member
Hi, I bought a laptop second hand a few weeks ago in a garage sale, works fine, but just noticed in the BIOS setup, a rude word has been set underneath the Service Tag (Serial No). As below...

*********** System Identification **********
Service Tag: XXXXXXXXX
Asset Tag: RUDE WORD

Clearly this has been setup by someone since the PC was originally purchased (Dell D600 laptop with Phoenix BIOS).

It is not an inpt field ie. you cannot tab or move to it to change it, so it must have been set elsewhere. Presumably some utiliy programme or editing of a specific file somewhere.

Re-flashed the BIOS to latest A14, but did not change any of the data under System Identification.
Any ideas how to remove it ?

thanks
Chris

well, I imagine that he would have posted the word if he thought it was decent enough for this crowd... :)

you have to remember, Curiosity killed the cat... ;)

well, I imagine that he would have posted the word if he thought it was decent enough for this crowd
It'll just get censored anyway if you don't cut it up right.

you have to remember, Curiosity killed the cat
The only word that can kill me is fahwqwhggds...

Oh ****!

:)

Thanks Inaris, that downloaded file removed the unwanted word.
Excellent.

Raised a second question, however, the file ASSET also seems to manage the Owner & Service Tag No. I thought it would be useful to put the actual number back in there rather than leave the XXXXXXXX's displayed, and to set myself up as the owner.

Use the parameter asset /o 'NewOwnerName' and it also worked a treat, but...

Used the parameters asset /s 'NewSerNo' but it asked for a SETUP password. None of the BIOS passwords are enabled and I was not aware that there was a separate setup password.

Any more ideas ?

thanks
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom