PC Freezing, Where to Start?

rhu1949

Daemon Poster
My issue seems somewhat similar to the guy here http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/computer-freezes-games-bios-274875/#post2145025 but I didn't want to hi-jack his help. I was playing Diablo 3 a few nights back and when I used the in game "leave game" option everything froze. I could see my cursor but nothing responded. I tried to bring up the tast manager, but nothing. After waiting probably 15 minutes to see if it would resolve itself I decided to kill it at the PSU. I came back around three hours later and played again. Other than really high latency, which itself was unusual, everything worked fine until I went to leave the game. Same thing, frozen, wait wait wait, kill it. Last night I tried to play again and the entire PC was really sluggish starting and then it froze just after entering my password. I tried waiting etc. I can boot into the BIOS just fine. I tried to boot into safe mode and it wouldn't. I don't have anything of consequence on the machine so I decided to skip any backup steps and just try a clean install of Win7, but my mouse and keyboard wouldn't even interact with the installation menu. I think that narrative is exhaustive, so is there something that I am obviously doing wrong? Did the hard reset possibly break something? Any advice on where to start looking would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

FIrst thing I'd try is a check disk to make sure there aren't any bad sectors on the disk.

FIrst thing I'd try is a check disk to make sure there aren't any bad sectors on the disk.
Just to be clear, you mean the HDD? The OS is on an SSD, so does that still apply? If I can get it to run long enough before freezing I will look into the condition of both drives regardless. Thank you.

Open up your computer and unplug the hard drive. Then, take out all your RAM cards and put them into different slots. Plug your hard drive back in.

Now, I know that it seems pretty simple, but sometimes the memory of your computer can become corrupted. Taking out the RAM cards and putting them into different slots can sometimes repair this.

dxtech that is not correct. If he has a bad memory card it needs to be replaced. You will not repair a bad memory module by simply moving it around just as you won't repair your car by simply ignoring the warning light.

I would run one memory stick at one time, see if one of the sticks is bad.
I would run a check disk on the drives to see if you have bad sectors.
I would run some free temperature programs to verify your CPU isn't overheating.

Just to be clear, you mean the HDD? The OS is on an SSD, so does that still apply? If I can get it to run long enough before freezing I will look into the condition of both drives regardless. Thank you.

Shouldn't need to run chkdsk on an SSD.

I would try defragmenting the HDD, or SSD in your case.. A SSD can be fragmented right?

a fragmented HDD can slow down the PC, and reduce the life span of your HDD...

I did a lot of not working the other day and searched a ton of different topics. I wound up thinking that it was the result of a driver issue. I managed to keep the machine running long enough revert my gpu driver back about a week and everything seems to be fine now. Thanks to everyone that offered ideas and assistance. I am going to go ahead with a clean install of the OS just because, while keeping the gpu drivers where they are for the moment. Thanks again.

Nooooooooooooooooo

Do NOT try to defrag an SSD.

+1 NEVER ever defrag a SSD, worst advice ever! :cool: SSD works in a different way to HDD..

Make sure TRIM is enabled and log out of windows and leave it for 4/5 hours this (garbage collection) will check the disk for invalid data and re-organise(spread) the valid data evenly and optimize it.

To check if TRIM is enabled run: fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
0=enabled, 1= disabled

To enable if a 0 is returned run: fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom