Looking for Advice on My First Build

Fenworth

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm very new at building my own PC, but I would like to try it. I've been researching how it all works and I think I've managed to pull together a decent build. I would really appreciate any sort of advice you guys can give me on what parts I should change or if there's any way I can make the cost a little cheaper.

Basically, I want this computer to be a strong, sturdy, decent computer that is cost-effective. I'm not expecting to run top notch games at max everything, however, I would like it to be able to run most games at average settings. My goal was to keep this build around $400, but that was immediately blown out of the water when I remembered I needed an operating system. It's now $539.91.

Anyway, I've attached screen captures of the part list if you guys wouldn't mind offering some advice. I understand that I'm going to have to spend a healthy amount of money if I want this PC to run games well. However, I can't afford a whole lot.

Also, I think I have all of the parts I need listed, minus a possible extra fan (needed for this build?), but I was wondering if there were extra bits and pieces that I would need. I understand that the list says that the RAM cards are out of stock, but I'm hoping they'll be in stock when I place the order.

Thanks for taking time to look at this. I understand that I can't just have people do everything for me, so I tried my best to be thorough and do my research. I am just seeking advice so I don't dump $400+ on a PC that won't work for me, haha.

Attachments

• shoplist01.jpg
    shoplist01.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 9
  • shoplist02.jpg
    shoplist02.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 8
Does the case come with a power supply?

Depending on what games you play, you'll want to look at a more powerful graphics card, especially if they're modern games you want to play, in which case you're probably better off looking at something like a GTX750 or higher.

The Intel Pentium is okay, but it's only a dual core (with no hyperthreading, so only two threads), there are a couple of games that won't even start up if you have less than 4 threads, so for gaming you really want an i3 chip or higher!

Sorry for blowing your budget out the water (again)!

Save you some more cash, drop the Anniversary board to an H81, and get yourself at least a GTX 750. You will also need a PSU. Recommend at least a Corsair CX500.

Save you some more cash, drop the Anniversary board to an H81, and get yourself at least a GTX 750. You will also need a PSU. Recommend at least a Corsair CX500.

+1 on the Corsair, people often buy a cheap power supply, but at the end of the day, if the cheap PSU has a problem, then you'll fry the rest of your lovely new $500 PC.

if the cheap PSU has a problem, then you'll fry the rest of your lovely new $500 PC.

Not if the power supply has an issue and it cuts out in the middle of operation or you trip the power cord.
The motherboard will be the first one to die, if you have a brown out or something blows out in the psu.
Now if the power supply stops working, nothing blew out, popped.
You could escape your system being dead and buy a new one.

COUGAR CougarA500 500W Haswell Ready Power Supply - Newegg.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The power supply is the heart of a system, but a decent one and I'll also re amend the corsair CX500 as a minimum you should get, yes there are cheaper but with Power supplies you get what you pay for.

Dauntae

The motherboard will be the first one to die, if you have a brown out or something blows out in the psu.
Not necessarily. Anything connected to the PSU can be affected: HDD's, optical drives, fans, GPU, motherboard (and by extension of the motherboard, anything connected to it such as CPU and other add-on cards), etc.

Not if the power supply has an issue and it cuts out in the middle of operation or you trip the power cord.
Now if the power supply stops working, nothing blew out, popped.
You could escape your system being dead and buy a new one.

COUGAR CougarA500 500W Haswell Ready Power Supply - Newegg.com
Quality power supplies have protection against such things. With a cheap power supply any of the above can happen, or it can simply take out components even while working due to sloppy voltage regulation.

Back
Top Bottom