HP dm4 no sign of power

3 blinks indicates bad memory.
HP Notebook PCs - Computer does not start and the LEDs blink or the computer beeps | HP®*Support
Try re-seating the memory, if you have two memory sticks, try just on in each slot, if it boots up try running memtest on each stick in each slot separately and then test in opposite slots/memory
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Run the test for several hours and if there's any errors, it'll need to be replaced. If you only have one stick of memory and the pc refuses to boot, get another stick of memory and try that

Last edited:
Ok so i tried each stick by itself and it still doesnt work....i even tried a spare stick i had still nothing...

Hmmm...
Well with the battery in, you should see and orange charge light next to the power port, With the battery out, or charged it should be white.
The two led's on the left side, one towards the front of the laptop is the power on light, the second light on the left towards the rear is the hard drive activity light. (are one of those lights blinking?)
They only option I can suggest to you is to pop a known good stick of memory back into the laptop, remove the hard drive, optical drive and reset the bios by removing the battery for several minutes. do a hard reset as described in the link in post #11.
If that fails the try to connect a usb keyboard and separate monitor, just to see if it can post.
I'm out of any other options unless someone else has another idea/method.
At worse, the motherboards are cheap, I only paid $40. for a replacement dm4 motherboard I have (had a one blink flash on the caps lock key)

Last edited:
Ok so i just noticed the cord looks a little bit damaged....must of got caught in the couch.....but could that be the issue?...and the white light im talking about is by the power cord port.....anf the lights on the other side do not blink at all...

Yup...if the cord looks damaged, it probably is. Try another power brick if you can find a compatible one, or pick one up on ebay. They usually sell for less than $20.
Does the light come on when you wiggle it on the port?
There's a possibility of a lose port connector too (the part that's inside the side of the laptop)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom