Please help me upgrade my system

To further prove that point, look at all the HDD vs SSD 3Gb results. SSD on 3Gb completely demolishes a HDD, even a Raptor. I have a Corsair Neutron GTX in my laptop and there is no real perceivable difference in regular use compared to being in my main machine.

uh????
why are you even going there with HDD vs SSD??
It's well know that any SSD will run better than an HDD, even a raptor.
I fail to see your point on that

Because this guy is using a standard WD Black and wants an SSD? Because an SSD in any SATA type will run circles around a standard drive? That's why I said it doesn't matter if he's running in SATA2. Why spend 20 bucks on a dated platform just to have higher sequential read and write in a benchmark?

Why spend 20 bucks on a dated platform just to have higher sequential read and write in a benchmark?

Well that's the only reason I suggested that the OP spend the $20.... for better speed.
The only reason I got an SSD pcie card, for the most performance I could get out of my SSD because I do have a dated platform too, and I can attest there there is a noticeable difference from boot to starting different software and to shutting down. It's not just benckmarks, it's an actual fact.
If your happy with Sata 2 speeds, then keep it.... But it's not for me. The cost is probably less than 5% over the cost of an SSD and you might see a 5% or better gain in performance. (I'm too lazy right now to find any stats on an exact percentage)

Last edited:
You posted an article with stats that pretty much showed there is no attainable difference besides sequential speeds. Seriously, you're arguing a moot point. SATA link speed makes no difference in IOPS speeds and that is where the real speed of an SSD comes into play. You don't need 450MB/s to read a bunch of 1-5Kb files when launching Windows. You need high 4k random read/write speed which SATA link speed has no defining impact on. The only thing that he will benefit from getting an add-in card is large file transfer speeds because of the increase from ~250MB/s to ~450MB/s depending on SSD acquired.

My "to further prove my point" statement was simply implying the fact that no matter the SSD or link speed he will see a huge increase in visible performance simply moving from HDD to SSD.

My "to further prove my point" statement was simply implying the fact that no matter the SSD or link speed he will see a huge increase in visible performance simply moving from HDD to SSD.
Your trying to prove a point, and I know what your doing
nuff said

Ok so I'm getting all this stuff ready to order on amazon and I wanted to quickly check if I'm doing things okay. So will that SSD that I picked (the 500gb Samsung 850 EVO) work on my computer?

Also is this the right CPU heatsink to use instead of my stock heatsink? I imagine it will fit in my case properly?

What's the difference between this one and the 612 that is linked on the same page? It's only $13 more and I definitely wouldn't mind paying that extra if it makes a difference, what do you think?

Also are there any cheapish hd monitors or brands you could recommend? Around 21-24 inch. I'm thinking of adding another monitor.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm getting all this stuff ready to order on amazon and I wanted to quickly check if I'm doing things okay. So will that SSD that I picked (the 500gb Samsung 850 EVO) work on my computer?

Also is this the right CPU heatsink to use instead of my stock heatsink? I imagine it will fit in my case properly?

What's the difference between this one and the 612 that is linked on the same page? It's only $13 more and I definitely wouldn't mind paying that extra if it makes a difference, what do you think?

Also are there any cheapish hd monitors or brands you could recommend? Around 21-24 inch. I'm thinking of adding another monitor.

Cheers.
Yes the SSD will work.

Yes that's the heatsink, no don't get the 612, yes it'll fit in your case.

Acer and Asus both make real cheap 1080p monitors in that size.

Great, thanks so much for all your help PP.

So I went back to check that my heatsink was on properly and when I pressed down on one of the pins I felt a small click. Then I ran the computer again and now the CPU idles in the 40s and it stays in the 70s when playing NBA 2K15. It doesn't go to the 80s/90s anymore which is amazing that such a small error caused a huge temperature problem.

Do you think it would still be worth it to buy the heatsink? Would it lower temperatures even further? If it could lower the temps by around 10 C or more then I think it could be worth it for only 32 bucks, for if anything just to prolong the life of my CPU.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Your CPU will last a couple decades with the current temps, but the 212 will drop the temps lower.

Funny how I said earlier it wasn't making proper contact ;)

Back
Top Bottom