Running single and sli 970 on 8350.

The cooler and psu are my planned upgrade path, i will have money for them anywhere from 6 to 18 months from now. I would get intel but that is a bit of a hassle, first of all i would have to find a buyer for my current mobo, tear down my entire pc, go several days without it waiting for new mobo and cpu that is more expensive that the one i wanted to buy, assemble my entire pc basically from scratch and after all of this get 5-10 fps more for a $100, sitting without my pc for days and going through all of this.

pretty much all of them, here are some examples i tested:
in witcher 3 i get ~97% on ultra, fps is around 50-70, on a boat it goes up to ~100 fps, in town it can drop to ~38 fps and 50-70% usage
far cry 4 i get 40-60 on ultra, gpu usage jumps between 70-100%
gta 4 i get 40 fps with about 40-50%
fnv is weird, it usually shows as much usage as fps, i can get 30% and 20-40 fps or 60-90 fps with 70-80% usage
hell, i get drops below 60 in freaking minecraft, from 100-300 to 40ish fps ;/
Generally as i see it there is a pretty big cpu bottleneck, if i could get my gpu to work 80-100% at all times i would be very happy.

You're not really thinking rationally though. To put a new cpu, overstock it to meet performance, put a new cooler on, and go sli you're still doing.everything you pretty much just said anyways. The only difference being with an i5 you don't need a big cooler because you don't need to oc, you don't need a massive psu because your cpu isn't sucking up over 100w itself, and you'd be paying about the same anyways. It's my 2c you just wait them months to do those upgrades so you aren't essentially wasting money. Because you're upgrading in hopes to lessen bottlenecking, instead of eliminating it altogether. For sli 970 and an i5 you could do it on an 89 dollar 620w Seasonic psu. The cooler itself will be about 100 and that's the cost of a Z97 board. See what I'm saying? To install said cooler onto the amd rig you still need to tear apart your system. If you wait those months to just assemble your parts you don't need to bother with the down time.

To the games, sounds like it's just ai causing the dips. Gta 4, just don't worry about it. Bad on cpus. If you want I can test a titan x on a 955be.

if i manage to sell mobo i will go with 4690k, otherwise i'm not throwing out a $150 board

I live in poland, here the prices are diferent, $150 is actually pretty cheap for it, it goes up to $180.

Well when you list your location as "Ohio", that kind of indicates that you're in the US and not Poland as you just mentioned ;).

Yep, i'm the guy who you told that he shouldn't get the mobo and now has problems becouse he did anyway :p

Back
Top Bottom