Installing NEW CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blind_Arrow don't scare the guy out of attempting a CPU install. They really aren't as hard as he makes it sound like it is. The CPU Sockets now-a-days use whats called 'ZIF' technology which stands for 'zero insertion force' You take off the heatsink and simply lift the lever next to the socket. This releases the CPU and you can pull it out. Put in your new CPU and it should drop right in. Then simply pull the lever back down.

Stock heatsinks have thermal pads on it, but if you had an aftermarket heatsink then you can use some good thermal paste instead. If you were trying it for the first time though I'd say just put on the stock heatsink to get used to it.

Unless you really bear down on those CPU Dies they aren't really that easy to break. I stabbed at an old processor multiple times with a screwdriver and couldn't get the stupid thing to crack when I was trying. As long as you set the heatsink STRAIGHT down onto the processor then lock everything down you're good to go.

The biggest part of changing out the processor is simply getting over the fear like you're holding the cure to aids in a very breakable glass tube while balancing ontop of a 100ft tall pole or something.

specially as if u r on AMD Athlon XP or earlier
Why do you need special skills for XP's or earlier? I like these more than I do the AMD64 heatsinks that require you to remove a backplate in order to change the heatsink, but it is easier to get the heatsink off since all you have to do is unscrew the screws in order to loosen it in the event of CPU replacement.

But the XP's and whatnot simply need a steady hand and good eye to not stab your motherboard which is what generally happens to people who don't know what they are doing.

well prices ive got...

Intel Socket 478:

INTEL P4 3.0ghz 800FSB for $299AU
INTEL P4 3.2ghz 800FSB for $379AU

or

P4 3.0ghz / 800 FSB 1meg cache PRESCOTT CORE for $285AU
P4 3.2ghz / 800 FSB 1meg cache PRESCOTT CORE for $319AU

so help me out here? is it worth the increase in cost? and whats the difference between 1mb cache PRESSCOTT CORE ones and other ones?

thanks guys.

prescott's are hott as hell, and not in the good sense, they take more voltage and heat up like..... n/m, sufficient to say unless you have extremely good cooling DON'T try to OC one of these

well i dont mind i guess spending that little more for performance.
how big of a jump am i making from p4 1.5 to p4 3.0?

thanks.

Hot as HELL :) hahaha.

Hell is Black HOT. whicle prescott might touch BLUE region in hotness

Heay intensity is like that

starts fom BLUE > RED > WHITE > BLACK.

yes Prescotts ar vey hot, this is you can say a worst point of Intel's 90nm chip. as it is mor hot than its previous 130nm.

and in AMD< things ar reversed. 90nm is 20-24W cooler than 130nm. cool, isnt it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom