New PC! (I'm new too so Hi I guess.)

Michael Euteneuer

Beta member
Hey guys.

Building a new PC and I currently have all the parts. The one issue I am having is that I need to put it all together.

My main problem is that the case I have (Thermaltake Chaser A71) has four fans.

My motherboard does not appear to have enough room for said fans. (Pics included)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102348928720992983960/albums/6152568522141824961

As you may have already figured out from the nature of my issue I am not exactly experienced at this kind of thing.

I may also have an issue with the length of provided SATA cord. I cant connect my SSD, HDD, and CD Drive.

What motherboard do you have?

All those at the bottom, aren't for fans. The F_USB is for the case's USB ports. The F_PANEL header is for the power button, reset button, and LED's.

The fan connectors should be labeled as "FAN" on the board.

Yup just covering all bases.
This is the motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (GA-B75M-D3H) - PCPartPicker
Here is a pic of the "fan" slots:
20150524_193624%255B1%255D.jpg

20150524_193639%255B1%255D.jpg

Last edited:
Aw crap! The fan connectors for the case fans are all three pins while the one on the motherboard is a four pin! How could I overlook that?!

I need a splitter cable too apparently. The motherboard has ONE fan slot.

Is there an adapter/splitter for this kind of problem?

The CPU_FAN is for your CPU heatsink's fan.
The SYS_FAN will work for 1 of the case fans.

If you want to hook the other case fans up, then you'll need to buy 3-pin (or 4-pin) to molex cables.

Edit: just saw your 2nd post - you can plug a 3pin fan into a 4-pin slot. Just plug it onto the first 3 pins, where the plastic connector is located.

The CPU_FAN is for your CPU heatsink's fan.
The SYS_FAN will work for 1 of the case fans.

If you want to hook the other case fans up, then you'll need to buy 3-pin (or 4-pin) to molex cables.

Edit: just saw your 2nd post - you can plug a 3pin fan into a 4-pin slot. Just plug it onto the first 3 pins, where the plastic connector is located.

Thank god! I thought I was royally screwed.

Do you have any recommendation on the splitter cable?

Are you saying your SATA data or power cables are not long enough?

The case itself appears to be full ATX, but the motherboard is Micro ATX, this isn't a problem as such, as the Micro ATX boards do fit into big cases, but the chances are, the cable supplied with the Micro ATX board is sized as expecting a Micro ATX case (ie, it's too short :p ).

Not to worry though, SATA data cables are really cheap and you can pick up some longer ones for a few quid, just make sure you buy cables that are long enough or you'll be back where you started!

Back
Top Bottom