Rate the Wire Management Above You!

LOL, is that the conduit that covers what appears to be a SAS controller and that SAS cable?

@Spud

A SOFT bristle tooth brush (very very soft) with pure rubbing alcohol and the power from a system completely drained, as well as all batteries on the system remove is about the best for getting any tar like substance off of a board. You just have to ensure there is NO electricity in anything at all, and let it FULLY dry, as well as be very gentle. That aside, a microfiber cloth works wonders on the rest of the dust with fans and the case it self.

Honestly don't need rubbing alcohol unless there is a tar or some sort of oily substance on the boards/fans/case that is causing the dust to stick heavily. Just a spray of air and a microfiber cloth that's been soaked and wringed out of rubbing alcohol does wonders. The rubbing alcohol keeps the cloth from being capable of ESD.

It really comes down to, what are you cleaning, and what is on it that your trying to remove. In my case it was cigarette tar and dust, which you HAVE to pretty much scrub off and use rubbing alcohol.

Regular dust? Canned air, and a moistened cloth (using alcohol to moisten it) to clean large surfaces, canned air for the boards, cloth for fans/metal.

Oily substance on the board? Same as cigarette tar/dust.

Being honest... At our shop we sold a spray foam for cleaning electronics... All it was is a foam that contained alcohol. We actually kept bottles upon bottles of rubbing alcohol on hand to clean really nasty systems, and sold the spray foam at a premium to people that wanted the "proper" stuff.
Yea like you said it's usually all covered. It is, I just had that piece off to put my SSD in there.

Ah, looked a little newer than that, guess it's where it sat in some form of a NOC most it's life. Still fairly powerful IMO, would make a nice little ESXi host.

Ah, looked a little newer than that, guess it's where it sat in some form of a NOC most it's life. Still fairly powerful IMO, would make a nice little ESXi host.
HP has custom ISOs for it but you need active warranty or an HP PoC to get it. So I'm gonna try to just make it my file server to go on my new network rack.

You can get the free version of ESXi, supports almost unlimited RAM, and upto two physical sockets, four cores per socket. Only thing that would keep it from working is some form of block built into the motherboard.

Typically you can use 5.0 drivers with 5.5, just have to research how to load the packages into the ESXi install cd, or load them in from the shell. I had to put Nforce AHCI and RealTek drivers from an older 4.x release into a 5.5 package and it worked great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom