Rate the Wire Management Above You!

I'm LOL'ing hard at most of the thread posts hear. You should see my Cable Management. Its hurrendus. I have 7 Systems running threw a Ethernet Switch, two KVM Switches,5 Monitors, 1 Server,+ T.V Equipment Hi - -Fi Equipment.

I've got a full electrical safety inspection test next week for my property and I'm not looking forwards to it off the local authority. Today believe it or not i just had my Light Switch socket fitted proper after hanging out the wall for 5 years since I genuinely couldn't be As*** with it.

Ok Mr. P.P., how does THIS look? I spent HOURS UPON HOURS hand scrubbing several parts with a tooth brush and 91% alcohol, and the last 12 hours rearranging my disks and installing new disks as well as new SAS cables... Hope this pleases your eyes a little more... Don't even ask if I can hide those 3 foot long SAS cables.

11071577_942540519118852_9067615050575410330_n.jpg

Looks good man. Cig smoke is by far the most challenging when trying to clean it up. I let my dad borrow my DFI SLI-DR for a couple years and it took me the better part of 2 hours cleaning that board getting all the nasty shit off of it. Anytime I get a used part from a smoker house I have to take great care in cleaning it so I don't smell that shit.

Considering that's what, an HP or IBM server...? I see a wire... Usually I don't see wires in their newer units easily what so ever. Tend to have the wiring under a shroud of some form, even single SAS cables get routed in a shroud these days.

Last edited:
Would you folks be able to offer advice about cleaning my systems and what you use. I just read c0rr0sive used a tooth brush to clean his system. The only way I ever clean my systems is if I have proper stuff from the Shops. Is their anything I can use around the house to clean the insides of my Towers. My hands were black last time and I don't even know what that was or if it was just dust by any chance.

Look to the right on the end of the keyboard.

LOL, is that the conduit that covers what appears to be a SAS controller and that SAS cable?

@Spud

A SOFT bristle tooth brush (very very soft) with pure rubbing alcohol and the power from a system completely drained, as well as all batteries on the system remove is about the best for getting any tar like substance off of a board. You just have to ensure there is NO electricity in anything at all, and let it FULLY dry, as well as be very gentle. That aside, a microfiber cloth works wonders on the rest of the dust with fans and the case it self.

Honestly don't need rubbing alcohol unless there is a tar or some sort of oily substance on the boards/fans/case that is causing the dust to stick heavily. Just a spray of air and a microfiber cloth that's been soaked and wringed out of rubbing alcohol does wonders. The rubbing alcohol keeps the cloth from being capable of ESD.

It really comes down to, what are you cleaning, and what is on it that your trying to remove. In my case it was cigarette tar and dust, which you HAVE to pretty much scrub off and use rubbing alcohol.

Regular dust? Canned air, and a moistened cloth (using alcohol to moisten it) to clean large surfaces, canned air for the boards, cloth for fans/metal.

Oily substance on the board? Same as cigarette tar/dust.

Being honest... At our shop we sold a spray foam for cleaning electronics... All it was is a foam that contained alcohol. We actually kept bottles upon bottles of rubbing alcohol on hand to clean really nasty systems, and sold the spray foam at a premium to people that wanted the "proper" stuff.

Last edited:
LOL, is that the conduit that covers what appears to be a SAS controller and that SAS cable?

@Spud

A SOFT bristle tooth brush (very very soft) with pure rubbing alcohol and the power from a system completely drained, as well as all batteries on the system remove is about the best for getting any tar like substance off of a board. You just have to ensure there is NO electricity in anything at all, and let it FULLY dry, as well as be very gentle. That aside, a microfiber cloth works wonders on the rest of the dust with fans and the case it self.

Honestly don't need rubbing alcohol unless there is a tar or some sort of oily substance on the boards/fans/case that is causing the dust to stick heavily. Just a spray of air and a microfiber cloth that's been soaked and wringed out of rubbing alcohol does wonders. The rubbing alcohol keeps the cloth from being capable of ESD.

It really comes down to, what are you cleaning, and what is on it that your trying to remove. In my case it was cigarette tar and dust, which you HAVE to pretty much scrub off and use rubbing alcohol.

Regular dust? Canned air, and a moistened cloth (using alcohol to moisten it) to clean large surfaces, canned air for the boards, cloth for fans/metal.

Oily substance on the board? Same as cigarette tar/dust.

Being honest... At our shop we sold a spray foam for cleaning electronics... All it was is a foam that contained alcohol. We actually kept bottles upon bottles of rubbing alcohol on hand to clean really nasty systems, and sold the spray foam at a premium to people that wanted the "proper" stuff.

Thats whats in the Server I have an Oily substance all threw out the case and the insides and its just horrible and nasty; I mean just pure Grime. Mostly dust for the rest of the system I have. I was going to Strip them down one by one and clean them out but I would like to also pull my Network apart and give the whole thing a once over as I have 7 Systems running thew KVM Switches and Routers so the whole thing needs cleaning.

I have the systems going around my living room exactly like an "L" shape under my main window and down the main wall.

Back
Top Bottom