Problem with Steam

CompT

Baseband Member
I have just noticed a few days ago that Steam doesn't connect to the internet and therefore says "Steam server cannot reach the server." My internet is great and I can still go on google and the web. After the message pops up, I retry but it says the same thing. I try a different game and it won't even launch. I double-click and I see the "busy" cursor for a fraction of a second before reverting back to the normal one. No matter how many times I try opening the game or any of the games, it does nothing. Is it because of a recent update? Is it a problem with my own comp?

Are you able to connect to anything else via a web browser?

Tried updating your network card drivers (wired and/or wireless)? If you're on wireless, have you tried wired? If you're on wired, have you tried bypassing your router and connecting directly to your modem to see if you can get it to work that way?

Tried reinstalling Steam? Tried installing it on another system to see if it can connect?

Check your proxy settings as well. Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN Settings button -> Make sure "Use a proxy" is unchecked.

Are you working off Wireless Network?
Is steam configured to automatically start when Windows start?

I find that if Steam starts up before my wireless connection is finished connecting, I will experience problems connecting to the server.

I normally restart steam 30 second later and I am fine.

Back
Top Bottom