New GPU for roughly 100$

mikee

Fully Optimized
I am feeling like the excessive heat issues on my Radeon 6670 are finally taking their tole on the card finally. This card basically Idles in the high 70 C range and that recently I have noticed that when playing games like 7 days to die or GTA V the game will play fine for several minutes but then start lagging badly. I feel this is due to thermal throttling so I think it's time for a new card. I only have about 100$ to spend on this. Basically I play 7 days to die and GTA V I have been playing both at 720p. I don't need ultra high visuals since I am visually impaired so there is no point to maxing out a game. I just don't want them to lag.

You guys recommended me my current card 4 years ago and it has been pretty reliable for those years except for running a little hot due to the small fan.

or should I just hold out for dx12 when that comes out I am assuming later this year?

I don't even know how to take the heatsink off. It was clearly too small to adequately cool the card to begin with. its only like a 25mm fan or something. when I got it it idled in the low 70s. The lag is only really bad in 7 days to die but with reflections turned off I can manage to keep the framerate above 25 mostly in the 30s with the occasional lag spike when going into a man made bunker base. GTA for some reason bumped my resolution up to 1080p. I had it on 720p where I could play it at 30fps with settings on normal and some medium. One big thing though is the noise. That little fan sounds like a freaking hairdryer. When I am playing multiplayer 7 days people in the call complain they can hear my fan.

I just don't know what the best course of action would be in this case. I have a little time though I don't get paid for a few more weeks so I have time to consider things. I don't want to do anything to risk breaking the card I have now because I am not 100% sure once my expenses are taken care of that I will have enough left to buy a half way decent card this month.

If I was to replace this card now hypothetically what would be a good card for gta V and 7 days to die in the 100$ give or take 20$. I ask this because I have been thinking of upgrading for a little while now. The other thing I do is record gameplay footage which drops the fps a little more.

I am still going to try and clean this card up the best I can. I don't have any thermal paste if I have to remove the heatsink though

To record GTAV your going to have some trouble with any card in that price range, Might get away with it on the lowest setting but most likely not and it also depends on what program your using to record, I think you best bet for that price range would be the Nvidia 750TI

Back
Top Bottom