Packet Loss; Can't Fix!

Open up Device Manager
On your network adapter, do the following:
Right click -> Properties -> Details tab
Post the following info for each item that has a yellow exclamation mark:
Under "Hardware Ids" in the dropdown, it should have something like VEN_####&DEV#### ; post that section, where #### = some alphanumeric combination.

Here are two screen captures. The first is what you asked for, but I'm not using that adapter. The second is my AE3000 wireless adapter which I am using.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
I really don't know look over crossedup posts in here and then read the latest one.
Also if it is wireless why don't you ask him to test the wireless nic elsewhere to rule it out ?
Which still confuses me why you would suggest just replacing the router rather than suggesting to test the adapter on another machine (which is a legit suggestion), or replacing the wifi adapter first :confused:.

"Curious, but why do you think it's the router?"

I'm wondering the same thing since I can hook directly into the router and there is no issues - my other two rigs are hooked into the router; my kids use those machines and are constantly playing online. None of them have complained about lag during game play.
Sounds to me like it's most likely an issue with the wifi adapter then - do as suggested and test it on another system in your house to see if that system has similar issues. If the other system does...then I'd say it's an issue with the wifi adapter and you should replace it.

Have you looked into Powerline adapters by chance? That way you would get the reliability of wired, but the distance of wireless essentially.

Open up Device Manager
On your network adapter, do the following:
Right click -> Properties -> Details tab
Post the following info for each item that has a yellow exclamation mark:
Under "Hardware Ids" in the dropdown, it should have something like VEN_####&DEV#### ; post that section, where #### = some alphanumeric combination.

Here are two screen captures. The first is what you asked for, but I'm not using that adapter. The second is my AE3000 wireless adapter which I am using.

Don't really need them now since you said it works fine over wired (no issues/packet loss) and I realized you already posted the model # of your wifi adapter.

Powerline adapter... Just ordered this from Newegg. BUT, if there's a prob with my wireless adapter it still might show up as a problem even with the extra boost of the Powerline.

Powerline adapter... Just ordered this from Newegg. BUT, if there's a prob with my wireless adapter it still might show up as a problem even with the extra boost of the Powerline.

The powerline adapter uses ethernet - so your wireless adapter wouldn't be used if you are planning on using powerline adapters.

The powerline adapter uses ethernet - so your wireless adapter wouldn't be used if you are planning on using powerline adapters.
If I hook directly into the adapter. I'd like to boost my wireless signal throughout my house so that streaming movies from Vudu/Netflix, etc., has better performance. If I plug my rig directly into the adapter, the adapter will be on the other end of the house from my TV and I don't think wireless performance will be improved.

So you're planning on plugging another router or access point into the powerline adapter, and continue running your system off of wifi? If your wireless adapter is the problem (like we think it is), then doing that will just put you right back at square 1 because you're still using the wifi adapter.

The reason I suggested the powerline adapter was so you could plug directly into the powerline adapter with your rig via ethernet.

So you're planning on plugging another router or access point into the powerline adapter, and continue running your system off of wifi? If your wireless adapter is the problem (like we think it is), then doing that will just put you right back at square 1 because you're still using the wifi adapter.

The reason I suggested the powerline adapter was so you could plug directly into the powerline adapter with your rig via ethernet.

That's probably what I'll do; plug directly into the powerline adapt., it's just doing that won't help my home entertainment streaming. That's another reason I was looking at a possible different wireless adapter, one that works right. However, I haven't completely determined what is wrong with my present wireless adapter. More work to be done when time permits...

If your other peripherals are running wireless and can be hooked to ethernet, you can always buy additional powerline adapters and you'll be able to just plug directly into them.

Could still be the router, the radio on the router, while on the same circuit board is an entirely separate component with it's own processing logic. But at this point, buying a different wireless adapter may help....

Things that can cause data loss on Wifi...
- Too many wireless devices, wifi is a one-way communications system, two devices can't talk at the same time, if they do, you get collisions, which is data loss.
- Nearby neighbor is using the same channel as you are for your 2.5Ghz or 5.0Ghz network, thus causing interference, and dropped data.
-Other devices in most homes will use the 2.4Ghz spectrum, such as cordless phones, and wireless keyboards/mice.

To fully rule the router out, you need to be able to do tests with either a different NIC, or different PC with any and all other 2.4 and 5.0 devices disabled during the test. If you get no loss, your router is most likely in good shape.

But chances are, it is the wireless adapter causing the loss.

Back
Top Bottom